Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gm/Id methodology for biasing transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

predator89

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a Fully diff Folded cascode OTA and for this I need to design a wide swing bias.
I read a lot about gm/Id methodology used to bias transistors in strong inversion for having a good design.
But I could not get get proper rersourse to follow this method. Dose anybody have resources related to gm/Id methodology?

Any help will be welcommed.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers

... gm/Id methodology used to bias transistors in strong inversion

It is correct to use bias transistors in strong inversion, but for strong inversion operation the gm/Id methodology isn't the correct design method: the gm/Id methodology is used for moderate or weak inversion operation.

Use standard, i.e. strong inversion operation design methods for bias transistors: Use long transistors (L ≧ 10*Lmin) for high output resistance and low supply voltage dependency, and choose the width W for strong inversion operation for the required current and bias voltage.

Depending on technology size and required current you often end up with W/L < 1 for low bias current.

I am designing a Fully diff Folded cascode OTA and for this I need to design a wide swing bias.
I read a lot about gm/Id methodology used to bias transistors in strong inversion for having a good design.
But I could not get get proper rersourse to follow this method. Dose anybody have resources related to gm/Id methodology?

Any help will be welcommed.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Boris murman has given beautiful notes to understand Gm/Id method. See below in chapter-5, gm/Id based design
**broken link removed**

"Take a step forward and things will start happening automatically"
~Rahul

Boris murman has given beautiful notes to understand Gm/Id method. See below in chapter-5, gm/Id based design
**broken link removed**

Thanks!! These are very nice notes for gm/Id method.

But I am stuck at plotting graph for gm/id in Cadence spectre. I am not able to understand how to plot gm during DC sweep. Please guide me with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks!! These are very nice notes for gm/Id method.

But I am stuck at plotting graph for gm/id in Cadence spectre. I am not able to understand how to plot gm during DC sweep. Please guide me with this.

Hi

See if you are taking to plot the gm/Id graph with respect to Vgs sweep then it is quit obvious to plot using calculator functions.
-First, you will plot Id Vs Vgs (u will get one plot say plot-1)
-Second, Differentiate Id with respect to Vgs using calculator (u will get another plot, say plot-2)
-third, divide plot-2 with plot-1 using calculator and the final result will be nothing but gm/Id Vs Vgs

ps- This may be the solution if i understood your question right.

-Rahul

See if you are taking to plot the gm/Id graph with respect to Vgs sweep then it is quit obvious to plot using calculator functions.
-First, you will plot Id Vs Vgs (u will get one plot say plot-1)
-Second, Differentiate Id with respect to Vgs using calculator (u will get another plot, say plot-2)
-third, divide plot-2 with plot-1 using calculator and the final result will be nothing but gm/Id Vs Vgs

-Rahul

Yes this was my question. I am new to cadence and not used the calculator functions much. I will try this out.

Thanks a lot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back