Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Technology-based wire delay scale factors

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1caw ex ua6bqg

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all!
During CTS stage in Synopsys ICC I observed the .log file and found some information about technology-based delay scale factors (see .log below):

Technology-based gate delay scale factors (normalized to the highest):
Corner ':max': 1.000
Corner 'WL:min': 1.000
Corner 'TEST_TY:max': 0.644
Corner 'TEST_ML:max': 0.457
Corner 'TEST_BC:max': 0.450
Corner 'T1:max': 0.551
Corner 'ML:max': 0.457
Corner 'BC:max': 0.450
Corner 'WC:max': 0.865
Technology-based wire delay scale factors (normalized to the highest):
Corner 'TEST_TY:max': 1.000
Corner 'TEST_ML:max': 1.000
Corner 'TEST_BC:max': 1.000
Corner 'T1:max': 1.000
Corner 'ML:max': 1.000
Corner 'BC:max': 1.000
Corner 'WC:max': 1.000
Using the following scale factors for float pins:
Corner 'TEST_TY:max': 0.716
Corner 'TEST_ML:max': 0.566
Corner 'TEST_BC:max': 0.560
Corner 'T1:max': 0.641
Corner 'ML:max': 0.566
Corner 'BC:max': 0.560
Corner 'WC:max': 0.892
Worst clock corner: :max
Worst RC delay corner: :max
Using normal effort optimization

I use all necessary technology files for CTS (i.e. TLU+, etc), and the main question is why wire-delay scale factor is constant (1.0)? Why it cannot changes like, for example, logical gates?

It does change, there are process corners for wires just like for logic: best, typical, worst, etc. In Cadence environment this comes from the qrc files, not sure what is the equivalent in synopsys world.

Thank you for your answer!
Yes, I understand, that it does. But what the reason that ICC reports Technology-based wire delay scale factors equal for all corners? How I can determine what exact delay scale factor fol wires for specific corner?

Thank you for your answer!
Yes, I understand, that it does. But what the reason that ICC reports Technology-based wire delay scale factors equal for all corners? How I can determine what exact delay scale factor fol wires for specific corner?

Maybe you didn't provide the tool with the right files.

I have provided TLU+, tf, mw_lib, .db files for macro and cells....sdc file....what else?

I have provided TLU+, tf, mw_lib, .db files for macro and cells....sdc file....what else?

Hard to say. I am not a heavy Synopsys user. What I can say for sure is that wire scale factor tables are not so popular with modern technologies as they are not accurate enough. However, the tools still support it. In my most recent tapeout I had all my tables as 100/100/100 whereas extraction would actually do the job of calculating pessimistic/optimistic Rs and Cs for wires.

... In Cadence environment this comes from the qrc files, not sure what is the equivalent in synopsys world.

In Synopsys world (StarRC world), a direct analog of QRC techfiles are ITF files (source files - text files (encrypted or not) defining BEOL stack - metal and dielectric thicknesses, dielectric constants, resistivities, manufacturing effects, etc.), and NXTGRD files (binary databases created from ITF files, for various metal lines patterns, for capacitance extraction). StarRC-generated SPF file contains a pointer to NXTGRD file used for extraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back