Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] [HFSS] MagE and CmplxE

Status
Not open for further replies.

elektr0

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
just to be sure, could someone comment on the difference between magE and cmplxE in HFSS.
Thank you very much.
Best regards
-e

E(x,y,z,t) = Epeak(x,y,z) * cos[wt + phi(x,y,z)]
I guess HFSS is using Epeak(x,y,z) in case of magE. Using animation the cos-term is multiplied.
Does anybody know the difference to cmplxE. In the latter case, animation is not possible, result does not depend on time.

MagE is a complex number. "Mag" here indicates the vectorial magnitude, ie. sqrt(reEx+reEy+reEz)+i*sqrt(imEx+imEy+imEz)
ComplexMag is a real number, and it is the absolute value of MagE.

MagE is a complex number so it can be animated wrt time.
ComplexMag is a real number, it cannot be animated wrt time.

..i think

Thank you.
Ansys answered: magE=magnitude of complex number, cmplxMagE=averaged over all phases

Thank you.
Ansys answered: magE=magnitude of complex number, cmplxMagE=averaged over all phases

This answer is not clear. It is better to look at their definitions:
Mag_E is defined as Mag(AtPhase(Smooth<Ex, Ey, Ez>, Phase))
ComplexMag_E is defined as Mag(CmplxMag(Smooth<Ex, Ey, Ez>)) or Mag(Smooth<Ex, Ey, Ez>) in new HFSS versions

Both two parameters correspond to Etot due to the Mag() operation.

The difference between Mag_E and ComplexMag_E can be simply described by the equation: Mag_E = ComplexMag_E * cos(Phase)

Mag_E = ComplexMag_E * cos(Phase)[/QUOTE]

Hi, but then the CmplxMag result should be identical to at least one MagE result, but this is not the case ?!
-e

Hi, but then the CmplxMag result should be identical to at least one MagE result, but this is not the case ?!
-e[/QUOTE]

It is. Taking a rectangular cavity resonator working at TE101 mode and excited by 1-V/m E-field with 0-deg initial phase for instance, you will see the Mag_E@0 deg is the same as ComplexMag_E, and Mag_H@90 deg is the same as ComplexMag_H.

-e

It is. Taking a rectangular cavity resonator working at TE101 mode and excited by 1-V/m E-field with 0-deg initial phase for instance, you will see the Mag_E@0 deg is the same as ComplexMag_E, and Mag_H@90 deg is the same as ComplexMag_H.[/QUOTE]

Hi Streamlet,

Do you think ComplexMag_E will change across location? My understanding is if it is travelling wave, it will be constant across location. If it is standing wave, it will show "phase" across location, because the amplitude itself is indeed dependent on location.

However when I created a microstrip with reflections at both ends to demonstrate the standing wave effect with ComplexMag_E, I failed. Can you please review my thread "Plot field of microstrip" and give us some comment?

Regards,
Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back