Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fuse replacement 110V 5A to replace 220V 5A ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

i200yrs

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All...have tried to google also but still cant find solid conclusion. Please help me understand, the original fuse is 220V 5A. Is it ok if I replace with 110V 5A? thanks

Hi,

No.
--> Use a fuse with at least 220V voltage rating.

Klaus

Hi,

If a bungee rope is rated for 110 pounds .. would you recommend your 220 pounds friend to use it?
;-)

Klaus

Hi,

fuse voltage ratings is a good term to search with.

It's well-explained in the following document, page 2 and section: Voltage Rating-Fuses

**broken link removed**

"The voltage rating of a fuse is a function of its capability to open a circuit under an overcurrent condition. Specifically, the voltage rating determines the ability of the fuse to suppress the internal arcing that occurs after a fuse link melts and an arc is produced. If a fuse is used with a voltage rating lower than the circuit voltage, arc suppression will be impaired and, under some overcurrent conditions, the fuse may not clear the overcurrent safely."

Bungees aside - when a fuse breaks it is because the current through it exceeded its rating. The current causes heating in the fuse wire regardless of the voltage - BUT consider what happens as the wire breaks. A higher voltage rated fuse is designed so the gap in the wire cannot arc and thereby allow some current to flow. Higher voltage rates fuses will open a wider gap or have a different filling that can resist more voltage than lower rated ones.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.