Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need to control signal generator through PC by sending it instructions via RS232

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
It is required that the setting of an arbitrary waveform generator on bench be controlled in time remotely. The device in this case has a serial port. The data is interpreted by the device as per its built in "instruction set" which is given in its user manual.

The concept is that a file shall store the actual data to be sent down the serial port to this device from a PC, and this file shall also store the delay between sending successive lines from this text file down the serial port. What program can I use to carry out this task in the most quick manner i.e without having a write my own application in C# or something? I only need a program which will write data to the serial port, one line at a time. And if the line contains a delay instruction e.g delay(200), the program shall wait for the given time before it reads the next line in the text file and write it to the serial port.

what do you mean "control"?
are you talking about GPIO?

Why not use audio port and Audacity free s/w to generate any audio signal.? Any standard shape + noise, or harmonic filtered or .... With spectrum analysis in feedback thru aux in recorded.

OP asked to control an arbitrary waveform generator, not generate audio signals; those are two quite different functions.

It is required that the setting of an arbitrary waveform generator on bench be controlled in time remotely. The device in this case has a serial port. The data is interpreted by the device as per its built in "instruction set" which is given in its user manual.
could you use a terminal emulator such as teraterm pro
https://ttssh2.osdn.jp/index.html.en

you can type commands into the terminal window to be transmitted over the RS232 COM port
also you can open a file to be transmitted

good idea Horace,

I forgot all about terminal emulators since the BBS days

At the time, the best program for auto-learning scripts was QModem.
I see it has recently been rejuvenated from DOS to an open source Windows terminal emulator with many script features to make it easy.

http://qodem.sourceforge.net/

many open source terminal programs are available .

MSWindows has 'hyperterminal' built-in.(i think only one mswin version did not included it. all oother Win versions have hyperterminal.)

(or write win32api , with c program , you can control, though you have opted it out)

Will it be possible to use a type of "delay instruction" in the file as well if I use this terminal emulator? So if the text file contains a line "delay 100" for example, the terminal emulator shall actually wait for 100 ms and then transmit the next line in the file down the serial port.

... So if the text file contains a line "delay 100" for example, the terminal emulator shall actually wait for 100 ms and then transmit the next line in the file down the serial port.

this is a command for the terminal . not for instrument.
you may have to write your own pack for interpreting .

Will it be possible to use a type of "delay instruction" in the file as well if I use this terminal emulator? So if the text file contains a line "delay 100" for example, the terminal emulator shall actually wait for 100 ms and then transmit the next line in the file down the serial port.
teraterm pro does have a Transmit Delay in the Setup>SerialPort option but it does not appear to work
however, realterm
http://realterm.sourceforge.net/
has a option to transmit a file with a delay after every character and/or every newline
the attached shows it transmitting a file with a delay of 100msec after each new line realterm1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back