Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

200 amp power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

archit6586

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to build 200Amp- 50 Volt dc power supply. can someone guide me through for starting. PS i have phase connection and plug port is rated for Amps per phase

10 kilowatts. That is some serious power.
Do you require it to be voltage regulated? Current regulated? Or both?

Another question, how much electronics experience have you got?

PS i have phase connection and plug port is rated for Amps per phase

The numbers are missing: do you mean your lab/ work place has three phase connection at 220V 50A power connection?

Any idea where this power will be going? For a welding station?

Please provide more relevant details.

Easiest way is to go buy some RST-5000 power supplies from Meanwell, 2 x the 48V 100A variant - and run them in parallel, 3ph + N + E required for input.

Can be controlled via pins on the connectors - or just let them run - volt adj pot on the back. You can get these for < US $ 1000.00 ea.

230/400 Vac 3 phase wiring requires 17A per phase from your building supply.

Other way is to get some large mains transformers designed 5kVA each and design a 3 phase SCR control ( or buy one of the shelf) put some SCR's ( and diodes for half controlled) on a good size heatsink with fans, get out the spanners, wire up and go - a bit heavier and likely more expensive - but rugged and very long lasting and > 95% re-recyclable ...

Some quite large caps required on the o/p for low ripple - unless you employ 2 x 100A o/p chokes to aid in the filtering ...

yes both voltage and current regulated. Also, I dont have much experience but I am willing to do it anyway. No other option

- - - Updated - - -

My work place is rated for 32 A 220V per phase

Single phase rectifier would not work because your phase power will be 7KW only.
So three phase rectifier required

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/begin...dge-rectifier-firing-angle-vs-output-voltage/

For DC to DC converter you should go with isolated (It is more complex at this power)
You have another option, step down 220V 3phase to 60V 3phase by three phase transformer(Two three phase transformer with 6KW) and rectify to DC then you will get 60V@200A source. Then use interleaved DC to DC converter

You can go for a 3 Phase step down transformer with isolation and six pulse charger. It will be rugged and simple if you are not much concerned about the input PF.

yes both voltage and current regulated. Also, I dont have much experience but I am willing to do it anyway. No other option

- - - Updated - - -

My work place is rated for 32 A 220V per phase
Any particular reason you want to build your own instead of buying something off the shelf? The latter option will likely be much cheaper...

I was also going to suggest the iron transformer plus brute force filtering, but the OP has indicated that he requires a REGULATED SUPPLY.

This is absolutely not a beginner project. Therefore and echoing other posters:
My recommendation would then be to purchase a catalog supply.

If you wire the primaries of the Copper/Steel solution with 3 ph and a neutral you can use Triacs to control the pri current, and have diodes on the output - regulation can be achieved this way - however - an off the shelf psu (or two) would be the easier path...

Hi,

you can use Triacs to control the pri current
Usually this is not allowed in this range of power.

Additionally this needs a careful design to avoid DC in the primamry winding.

Klaus

Um, "not allowed" by whom..? Santa Claus - you are right however about the DC - < 5mA in the neutral for earth stake corrosion reasons - however this can be controlled - even on large triacs, or back to back SCR's or IGBT's emitter linked as an AC switch ...

Hi,

I never used it, thus I may be wrong: I thought EN 61000-3-12 applies for currents 16A ... 75A.

Klaus

Added, from internet search:
EN 61000-2-2 for currents > 75A
EN 61000-2-4 for currents > 75A (industrial)
EN 50160 in general

My idea: Generally the claim for clean mains voltages makes restrictions necessary.
What´s behind an idea to allow "big" power consumers to create overtones without limit?

61000-3-12 limits are outside the requirement in this case.

It is, perhaps unfortunately, the prerogative of large consumers that need to convert AC to DC to draw fairly bad harmonics - as they often have their own 11lV or 33kV supply and on site xfmrs - they do not unduly interfere with other users - they usually pay for the kVAr's they draw too ...

Status
Not open for further replies.