Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IGBT Short Circuit problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you mean your igbt gets short circuit even without giving any pulse?
In this case, put a 1k resistor on Gate emitter across each IGBT. maybe your problem would fix.

I have tried with the resistor, but the gate is not a problem the signals are crisp and clear.

I tried now with a MOSFET, same result, maybe the igbt is not the problem then.

post a pic of the gate drive please ...

What, you mean me? Won't I go to the penalty box for hijacking someone else's post?

gatedriver.png

STGW25H120F2 is a diode-less IGBT. It may damaged by applying high negative Vce.

I meant for the OP to post the gate drive waveform - Swend even 10E for turn off R may be too high ..

the total turn off time for the IGBT can be as high as 354nS ( see data sheet ) so it it likely that minor shoot thru is killing them, try 500nS dead time for the IGBT ...

:D Again making theories about something which has already been tested. Why you do this easypeasy ??

Dear kripacharya, your post appears to show a limited understanding - minor shoot thru is caused by transient gate rise when the other device turns on - on another matter it appears you are now stalking me on this site - please refrain.

you may not know this 'peasy', but I have been a contributer to this project from the beginning. You have not. YOU are the interloper.
So kindly do not infer & imply self-serving garbage. Keep your silly comments to yourself.
Thank you.

Dear kripacharya, I believe you are somehow confusing the threads. Your first contribution to this thread is post #26, Easy peasy dropped in with post #6, giving valuable suggestions.

Dear kripacharya, I believe you are somehow confusing the threads. Your first contribution to this thread is post #26, Easy peasy dropped in with post #6, giving valuable suggestions.

you are correct. sorry to add to your load. I'm out.
Swend.. you're on your own dude. All the best.

Last edited:

I fixed the overshoot problem by adding cap on Drain Source but my problem still exits.
always the MOSFET or IGBT gets short circuit at start of the control, not during the control. why?
the last time I have tested (DC link volatge was 150V) the circuit worked fine but as soon as I turned the microcontroller off, mosfet got short circuit again.
any advice about output filter?

Last edited:

it appears your uP is issuing commands to the IGBT's at power down - this is a common oversight. You need to ensure, by hardware methods usually, but also in the setup part of the firmware on the I/O pins - that the IGBT gate drive cannot go high at power up or power down, until the uP control is properly established.

Status
Not open for further replies.