Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boundary Cell in Core Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

akhil_psm

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is any difference between the endcap cell and boundary cell (other than technology node)?
why we placed the boundary cell at boundary of the core area of the chip?

Is any difference between the endcap cell and boundary cell (other than technology node)?
why we placed the boundary cell at boundary of the core area of the chip?

I don't know what you mean when you say boundary cell. endcap is clear, that is industry lingo. this is how you terminate std cell regions.

The term PR boundary is used, but there is no cell that determines the boundary, it is a region.
There is also boundary scan, but that is a whole different thing.

I think your "boundary cell" refers to welltap cell, which is placed every constant distance over the chip. I was once told that welltaps are used to tie the power ground of std cells to their respective voltage levels; while endcap cells help to reduce DRC errors.

I was once told that welltaps are used to tie the power ground of std cells to their respective voltage levels; while endcap cells help to reduce DRC errors.

both assertions are incorrect. endcap cells are about well termination and timing consistency, regardless of cell location (near or far from an edge). welltaps are about bulk/well connections, not rail connections. see https://vlsi.pro/physical-only-cells-welltap/#WellTap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back