Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3D EM interface to electrical circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JalalTN

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The amount of energy that a wire receives (or emits) depends on its impedance. This impedance is a function of the environment around the wire. A wire laid out above the ground plane is an example of this dependency. If we change the distance to the GND plane, the current flowing in the wire (i.e. during emissions) will change. This impedance is generally different from antenna's impedance. CST microwave/DS does not show this impedance, at least explicitly. Is there any 3D EM simulation that can give this impedance? I want to use it directly in pspice.

The amount of energy that a wire receives (or emits) depends on its impedance. This impedance is a function of the environment around the wire.

This is a very simplified view. It is not clear what you are looking for. Are you looking at transmission line impedance basics? Radiation resistance of an antenna?

This is a very simplified view. It is not clear what you are looking for. Are you looking at transmission line impedance basics? Radiation resistance of an antenna?

I'm not interested in the emissions. It is a complicated EM system, not a transmission line. The system goes to a strong unwanted oscillation, at RF frequency! Seems that the oscillation is due to a combination of EM and the detail parameters of the semiconductor. Pspice is needed to address detail of semi.

Not sure whether this would be what you need, however my suggestion is to look for sigrity or momentum tool.

It is a complicated EM system, not a transmission line. The system goes to a strong unwanted oscillation, at RF frequency! Seems that the oscillation is due to a combination of EM and the detail parameters of the semiconductor. Pspice is needed to address detail of semi.

You mentioned wire, that is why I mentioned distributed circuit parameters (line impedance) rather than nodal parameters.

I think there is no simple "this impedance" value (or concept) that will solve your analysis problem. It's really more involved than that.

Your oscillallation might be from parasitic coupling (positive feedback across multiple stages -> EM analysis) or negative impedance (combined analysis of active + passive circuit + EM).

Not sure whether this would be what you need, however my suggestion is to look for sigrity or momentum tool.

Agreed, but the key issue is the actual use of the EM tool. It seems that JalalTN isn't experienced with using EM results in circuit simulation, and looks for one magic parameter that he can plug into SPICE simulation.

I believe CST and another software were tried with no success.

I believe CST and another software were tried with no success.

That means nothing. Unexperienced users often don't know how to apply EM tools properly. That's a typical mistake by many groups starting to do EM: they think they just need to buy the tool and have accurate results with no training and no experience.

What you describe sounds like a typical problem that many other have solved successfully.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back