Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Prevent short-circuit design rule in Altium when drilled hole goes through a pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnF

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can i prevent the rule from triggering without selecting "allow short-circuits" (i am assuming this is essentially the same as disabling the rule), and still keep the hole from generating in the drill file?

I haven't played around much but Altium treats the hole as a through-hole pad and it triggers short-circuit rule.

8BIXMLY.png

Not clear what you want to achieve? Placing non-plated drill hole?

Not clear what you want to achieve? Placing non-plated drill hole?

No. I have a footprint of one component that has multiple fixed placement locations. However a few of those overlap which each other in close distance. Then the hole inside the footprint might overlap partially with a pad inside the same footprint. Altium doesn't like it even though it is ok since the pad and the hole belong to different components. It seems it treats nph inside the footprint as a pad. I believe i can achieve this by modifying the nph as board cutout but then i don't know if they would generate as holes in the NC drill file.

O.k. the problem is actually about nph, you didn't mention yet.

I agree that this isn't exactly a short circuit, but surely a DRC violation.

For some specific cases you can add on schematics side, PCB directives in order to instruct online DRC from Layout side to consider differentiated rules.

O.k. the problem is actually about nph, you didn't mention yet.

I agree that this isn't exactly a short circuit, but surely a DRC violation.

Yes i thought it was clear enough to understand from the photo i posted.

For some specific cases you can add on schematics side, PCB directives in order to instruct online DRC from Layout side to consider differentiated rules.

Maybe the only solution is indeed to selectively tell DRC manually to ignore specific violations, so that it still picks up any other violations.

Yes i thought it was clear enough to understand from the photo i posted.
Not particularly, I'm still guessing what the drill contour is. But the problem has been clarified now.

Well i tried using a board cutout instead of the NPH but DRC will still give short-circuit warning.

fjWNSPQ.png
https://i.imgur.com/fjWNSPQ.png

Vx2YY5K.png
https://i.imgur.com/Vx2YY5K.png

I've waived those specific warnings, it just changes the colour of them from green to lime green. Is there is an option in the menus to not highlight waived warnings?

Also see the pics above; "SW_/" for example is the normal footprint of the switch. If you now use multiple of these footprints that overlay each other you are able to have multiple positions of each switch so you can have variations of the key layout.
However Altium doesn't like the fact that you drill a pad even though it is manufacturable.

ps. Ignore routing, i auto-routed all these switches to save time. In the first prototype i went and fixed the routes myself to make them neater. Is there a good cleanup strategy to save more time before i go in by hand?

I've waived those specific warnings, it just changes the colour of them from green to lime green. Is there is an option in the menus to not highlight waived warnings?

You just changed the PCB editor's color preferences, you didn't actually set the rules this way, instead just tried to hide the warnings from your sight; as said before, still on the schematic side you could insert such rules through the PCB directives:

https://www.altium.com/documentatio...ementswithDesignDirectives-PCBLayoutDirective

This is a powerful resource which could charmingly solve your problem, althout I personally would have preferred to avoid violating this rule instead of suppressing the warnings arose.

Anyway, from the first picture seems like you have more issues, the clearance there among nets NetJ1_12 and NetD92_1 which seems too close, but aren't highlighted by DRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back