Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about modeling jitter as random variation of edges

Status
Not open for further replies.

svensl

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
JITTER QUESTION

I was modeling jitter as a random variation of the clock edges. So I randomly delay or advance a jitter free clock to obtain my non-ideal clock.
Now, since I have no experience with real life clocks I was wondering about the following:

Can it happen that one edge of a clock can be delayed by a certain amount, and the next consecutive edge advanced by a certain about such that they will overlap and the jittered clock will miss an edge?
Are there high frequency clocks that have missing edges due to jitter??

Thanks

Re: JITTER QUESTION

No.
what you are talking is about jitter equal to clock period. Then we are not talking about clocks.

BRM

brmadhukar said:
No.
what you are talking is about jitter equal to clock period. Then we are not talking about clocks.

BRM

Thanks for the response.
For a clock period T a jitter variation of T/4 would be sufficient, as T/4 delayed, plus T/4 advanced will already give an overlap.

i think it is pretty much possible because if the astable multivibrator which provides us the clock signal gets affected by some disturbance i.e.noise, glitch etc then it is a possibility that it may stay in one state more than it is supposed to be.... but i think it is pretty rare......

You are right, but what application are you looking at where you can tolerate such jitters. Even the worst quality crystal available in the market does not give you such a preformance :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back