Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Passive element measurement,S paramter to ABCD ,please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicman

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
passive element

Hi,I designed a spiral inductor(only the dimensions) using ADS .I have s-parameters from the simulation results.

1-How can I get the effective inductance or capacitance using ADS?
2-How can I get the ABCD(easy to calculate inductance and capacitance) matrix from the s-parameters ?
3-Is there a way of measuring spiral inductor inductance and the interdigitated capacitance without using Smarter Components module in ADS?
4-is there a software that can convert s-parameters to ABCD automatically.let say Matlab?

I know how I can determine passive element type by observing the phase difference between the s11 and s12 (-90 capacitor),(+90 inductor),but the problem is the value at my designated oprerating frequency ,e.g 10GHz.

Thanks

s parameter conversion from abcd

Hi

To get the inductance you can use this formula after you have changed to Y-parameters:

1. L=-1/(2*pi*freq)*Imag(1/Y12)
Q=Imag(1/Y11)/Real(1/Y11)

2. There are formulas to do this, just check Pozar. I do not remember if ADS has this as a function, but then you can write your own equations in ADS. To have the Y-parameters just use StoY in ADS (Y=stoy(S) ).

3. Don't know.

4. Yes ADS or MATLAB.

Regards

determine capacitance from y values in ads

Hi,
You can check the attachment, hope will answer your question #2 & 4.
Then call this equation in Data Display after dragging the list.

Regarding passive 'lumped' value at your designated operating frequency, try this one. Transform ZL to ZLn

and try below guidelines.
1.always use ZY chart
2.always start from the load end to prevent confusion, then move upward toward gen
3.Move on constant R- G circle in such a way to arrive at the center of the chart.
4.Each motion will give you the value of a reactive element.
5.Moving on constant R yield aseries reactive element. and moving on constant G yield to ashunt.
6.The direction of travel on a constant R-G circle will determine the type of element to be used.
7.If the motion is upward it correspond to aseries or shunt inductor
8.If downward it correspond to a series or shunt capacitor

You can do this in ADS data display using marker on the smith chart, you can also write an equation under this environment to find the value of lumped element that you want, you need to read the Data Display documentation and you can find so much information that's really useful

This is just a guideline for typical problem, there's a lot and depend on your circuit.

Goodluck...

passive,measurement,s11,s12,smith chart

Hi,

Question #3, what do you mean about smarter component ?

abcd to s paramete

Hi

Smarter Compenent function or module by which you can design any passive lumped component automatically in ADS .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back