Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why saturation point is preferrable for a circuit acting as an amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shans60

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone give me the reason why saturation point is preferrable for the circuit acting as an amplifier

Re: Satu point

i think u are referring to mosfet............

if u see the graph between output and input voltage..........
the graph will be linear for the saturation curve.........
the amplifier requires linear region of operation

so saturation is preferred .........

i dont understand one thing here........ usually we bias an amplifier in the middle of the loadline for stability.... so isn't saturation point supposed to be one of the undesirable points for an amplifier........

i think shans60 meant saturation region........if it was saturation point then wat anand srinivasan said is right..................
there will be distorted output when we bias amplifier at the saturation point as the voltage will swing into triode region and saturation region back and forth............
sorry i didnt see the question properly..............

Shans60 said:
Can anyone give me the reason why saturation point is preferrable for the circuit acting as an amplifier

can u say for which device r u refering to..??

here FET is being referred..... because FET is the one in which amplifier is biased in saturation region......

ya.. then right .. Y i am asking is in BJT linear region is used for amplification.

In FET, only by biasing at the mid point in SAT region , v can get max swing in the applied AC signal..

In saturation MOSFET behaves like a current source, while in linear region it behaves like resistance.
Point of saturation is not prefered for amplifier. If you swing input voltage just a little, MOSFET will go into linear region, and so on and so on...
For amplifier we use saturation region...

Status
Not open for further replies.