Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about positive real zero of CS stage in Sedra&S

Status
Not open for further replies.

leohart

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The book said for a CS stage,it has a positive real zero at s=gm/Cgd,this is plausible to me,but it also said this means a zero for frequency gm/Cgd??
We all know s=jw,so how can this be?there is no physical frequency for s=gm/Cgd(cause w=-jgm/Cgd)!

I try Gray's book for this stuff,it did't say there's zero at frequency gm/Cgd but instead with there will be a zero at very high frequency(not infinity freq.),this doesnt make sense to me at all,higher freq. wont make s=gm/Cgd...

Any comments from you guys will be helpful,THX!

Re: Question about positive real zero of CS stage in Sedra&a

leohart said:
The book said for a CS stage,it has a positive real zero at s=gm/Cgd,this is plausible to me,but it also said this means a zero for frequency gm/Cgd??
We all know s=jw,so how can this be?there is no physical frequency for s=gm/Cgd(cause w=-jgm/Cgd)!

I try Gray's book for this stuff,it did't say there's zero at frequency gm/Cgd but instead with there will be a zero at very high frequency(not infinity freq.),this doesnt make sense to me at all,higher freq. wont make s=gm/Cgd...

Any comments from you guys will be helpful,THX!
hi
although i have not good reason to prove your statement is un-correct.
i think, in most case, we just care about the amplitude-freq response, and phase-freq response, in these cases, the frequency is only w not jw.
s is a complex variable, just for stands for amplitude and phase vs. freq together.
good luck
jeff

hi,jfyan,thx for your comment
but the amplitude transfer function is defined with complex variable s=σ+jw,in any cases of w,we will get imagine part from jw.
As u said,for freq. itself,it is w,but when in s domain,we should use jw instead!

Poles and zeros refer to the s-domain anyway.
But try plotting the amplitude and the phase of (jw-gm/Cgd) and convince yourself that this corresponds to a zero at +gm/Cgd, with amplitude gm/Cgd*sqrt(2) and phase +45 degrees.

So,zeros do not necessary mean there exist transimmison nulls,but just implication for there is a s+w(z) numerator ?
If w(z) is purely imaginery,we got a zero at some physical freq.,if not we just got a trend of reduing amplitude when freq. moving to |w(z)|,but it won't be zero at |w(z)|

For example s+1/RC as numerator of a transfer function,in s domain,the real zero should be w=-j/RC
but in real world,the zero freq is 1/2piRC,also amplitude is not zero there
Am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back