Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to create a CPU core on FPGA xilinx Spartan 3E

Status
Not open for further replies.

pezevall

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fpga cpu

Hello experts. I have heard that it is possible to simulate with FPGA a CPU (registers, ALU, accumulator, memory, pointer stack, etc) with a small assembler command set in order to perform mathematical operations. Is this possible? Any hints?

My goal is to generate a calculator (basic operations), by typing the operands via ps2 keyboard and show the results on a VGA display. My idea is to use FPGA as a microprocessor that manages the all logic and the I/O communications (keyboard, video, RAM)

I'd truly appreciate If you could point me to the right direction on how I can accomplish this project.

Best Regards
Pedro

fpga cpu core

Hi,
please check PicoBlaze from xilinx, its a small 8-Bit uP/uC with many applications.

thanks
sawaak

creating a processor using a fpga

**broken link removed**

how to create a cpu

you can get a workable cpu code from xilinx website or www.opencores.org,

then compile them and your program object source in a FPGA design environment

and downloadload them into FPGA. then it will work.

pezevall said:
Hello experts. I have heard that it is possible to simulate with FPGA a CPU (registers, ALU, accumulator, memory, pointer stack, etc) with a small assembler command set in order to perform mathematical operations. Is this possible? Any hints?

My goal is to generate a calculator (basic operations), by typing the operands via ps2 keyboard and show the results on a VGA display. My idea is to use FPGA as a microprocessor that manages the all logic and the I/O communications (keyboard, video, RAM)

I'd truly appreciate If you could point me to the right direction on how I can accomplish this project.

Best Regards
Pedro

zpu spartan 3e

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Re: fpga cpu

The J1 is a very small FPGA CPU with memory, stack, etc, in under 200 lines of Verilog. The version here:

The J1 Forth CPU

also has a VGA display interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back