Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The design guide section of ADS for Mixer design

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosaeidi

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I used "design guides" of ADS for mixer simulation. In this section, the conversion gain of the example mixer has a negative value! As you know the typical value of conversion gain for a mixer is about 10dB (RF Microelectronics, Razavi).

Is it possible to have a negative value for conversion gain of active mixer.

Thanks,
Rosa

It's possible... it means you used a wrong load..

rosaeidi said:
Hi everyone,

I used "design guides" of ADS for mixer simulation. In this section, the conversion gain of the example mixer has a negative value! As you know the typical value of conversion gain for a mixer is about 10dB (RF Microelectronics, Razavi).

Is it possible to have a negative value for conversion gain of active mixer.

Thanks,
Rosa

the default conversion gain in "mixer design guide" is power conversion gain, and it do has negative value!

you can name the i/o pin, and get the voltage conversion gain such as:

ConvGain_voltage=dbm(mix(HB.Voutp,{1,-1}))-dbm(mix(HB.Vinp,{0,1}))

if f_LO > f_RF

it can happen , if u didn't adjust the load ,and the gm of the transconductor pair , also check the matching so u get the max output

khouly

Passive mixer definitely introduce negative conversion gain (or in other word, conversion loss).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back