Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which one is better VmWare or VirtualPC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
VmWare vs. VirtualPC

I'm working under Slackware Linux as a HostOs for vmware. I'm starting my vmware PC with Win ME, when using Protel and software for some programmers. You can share your serial, parallel and usb ports and etc...

Vmware works perfectly!

I havn't opinion about virtual PC, and havn't a reason to try it.

VmWare vs. VirtualPC

btw, you can try boch... it's free - LGPL :)))

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

Bochs is a highly portable open source IA-32 (x86) PC emulator written in C++, that runs on most popular platforms. It includes emulation of the Intel x86 CPU, common I/O devices, and a custom BIOS. Currently, Bochs can be compiled to emulate a 386, 486, Pentium, Pentium Pro or AMD64 CPU, including optional MMX, SSE, SSE2 and 3DNow instructions.
Bochs is capable of running most Operating Systems inside the emulation including Linux, Windows® 95, DOS, and Windows® NT 4. Bochs was written by Kevin Lawton and is currently maintained by this project.
    Bochs can be compiled and used in a variety of modes, some which are still in development. The 'typical' use of bochs is to provide complete x86 PC emulation, including the x86 processor, hardware devices, and memory. This allows you to run OS's and software within the emulator on your workstation, much like you have a machine inside of a machine. For instance, let's say your workstation is a Unix/X11 workstation, but you want to run Win'95 applications. Bochs will allow you to run Win 95 and associated software on your Unix/X11 workstation, displaying a window on your workstation, simulating a monitor on a PC.

Re: VmWare vs. VirtualPC

Hi

I have installed Linux Redhat 7.2 as (other) in Virtual PC 2004.
I have installed Windows 2000 Prof. in vmware workstation.
I have installed Windows 98SE in win4lin.

Due to my experience both of vmware and virtual PC suffer from the ONE FILE structure of the installed (guest OS).
I mean that all you have been installing as a guest OS is stored in asingle file, and if during the work with the guest OS, If due to any reason the system is crashed, then you may lost at most your guest Os and at least your current working files.

The pointed problem is not exists in win4lin, since it installes the guest OS in a semi-real situation by modifying the Linux Kernel and installation of files in a native windows file system.

tnx

VmWare vs. VirtualPC

I've been using both, on the same machine, for about two years. Mostly for testing and learning other OS'es. Sometimes to test buggy or adware laced applications.

VMWare is faster but less flexible and fewer features. Can be a problem with some Linux versions (test before you fly!).

VirtualPC is slower but has more features and better emulations for Linux OS'es.

For you intended use ... I think VMWare would be the best choice.

jimjim2k said:
I mean that all you have been installing as a guest OS is stored in asingle file, and if during the work with the guest OS, If due to any reason the system is crashed, then you may lost at most your guest Os and at least your current working files.
tnx

But big advantage, is very easy making all guest system backup, by coping only one file ....
I also making backup copy of fresh guest OS installation (for WinNT 4.0 it is small file), because it is very fast way to get fresh OS for software testing.

VmWare vs. VirtualPC

Say I installed VPC in my WinXP desktop. I added another OS (say Win98) using VPC. If Win98 affected by virus, would the virus 'go into' my WinXP desktop?

No, is the short answer.

Yes, is the long answer.

Explaination:

The virtual machine (in your example Win98) may transmit the virus to other machines, including the host system, in the same manner as if it were a completely independent computer. This might be through email, network shares, floppy diskettes, etc.

Also, it is plausiable, that VPC or VMWare specific virus could be created that might transfer itself through some unforseen hole in the virtual machine interface to infect the host machine (however I've never heard of any, nor can I find any listed).

VmWare vs. VirtualPC

I think vmware better than VirtualPC
Because vmware is stable.

VmWare vs. VirtualPC

Hi

"VMware is based upon very impressive technology, but the most impressive thing about it is that it really works."

-- Sergey Brin, Co-Founder and President, Google

1. h**p://www.vmware.com/customers/stories/google.html
2. h**p://www.vmware.com/landing/ws4_banner.html

* -> t

tnx

well VMWare is good.. and n fact better than Virtual PC.

try installin linux on physical drive and run VMWare thru windows and link it.. its always faster compared to installin it n virtual drive.

try it... with regards,

VMware has better features than VirtualPC.

VirtualPC was an OK program until Microsoft came in. In fact Virtual PC 5.0.1 is much better than Virtual PC 2004 in the support for other OSes beyond the MS f*ckups....

Personally I think that the strongest virtual machine engine today is Bochs. Let me give you an example:

Both VMware and VirtualPC will complain if you try to install any Linux based on kernel 2.0.x. Only in Bochs I was able to install Redhat 5.2!!!!

Of course there is a catch here, Bochs is less user-friendly.

the_penetrator©

VmWare vs. VirtualPC

A NB of a 1.7GB CPU and 256MB RAM is enough to run 2 os,I think vmware better than VirtualPC ,too.

I have installed Microsoft Visual PC 2004 (trial version) on my WinXP Home edition .. first it gave me a warning saying that this operating system is not supported! .. but anyhow it also said that it still can run ..

After that I wanted to start booting my Red Hat 9 from the VPC .. but I had no clue how I can do that ! .. I started configuring a new Virtual Machine and then a new Hard Disk and so .. but when I ran the Virtual Machine It gave me this error (from inside the black window ) :

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device

so , where can be the problem from the begining ?

the_penetrator said:
VMware has better features than VirtualPC.

VirtualPC was an OK program until Microsoft came in. In fact Virtual PC 5.0.1 is much better than Virtual PC 2004 in the support for other OSes beyond the MS f*ckups....

the_penetrator©

Hi

I have installed redhat 7.2 and mandrake 9.2 in Virtual PC 2004 by "Other OS" without any problem.

tnx

VmWare vs. VirtualPC

vmware , I use host PC P4 1.8G 512m run mandrake OS work and run hspice on redhat8 (re build ) , hspice sim speed about 70% P4 1.8G

and I use win2k + virtualPC2004 run win98
I assign 64~300M , host CPU 2G 760M DRAM
virtualPC run win98 sometime LAG

for performance vmware >> virtualPC
but vmware lack of VGA card driver

andy2000a said:
for performance vmware >> virtualPC
but vmware lack of VGA card driver

Did you installed VMWARE tools ? It contains video driver......

VmWare vs. VirtualPC

really .as I remember vmware no more video card driver(compare with windows OS) .. 2 year ago I setup vmware , it can work can not adjust (fine tune) VGA card vmware +Linux run on on winXP ..

Status
Not open for further replies.