Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which one is better VmWare or VirtualPC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIC

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
VmWare vs. VirtualPC

Anyone has any experience on this? I want to install Linux and WinXP concurrently on a laptop so I don't have to reboot between each switch.

Which one is better? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each of these?

ASIC

I HAVE SEVERAL OS "ON LINE"

HI I DID A COMENT ON THIS ALREADY. YOU CAN SERCH THE TOPIC
LINUX ON A LAPTOP!
I RECOMENDED USING VMWARE AS A VIRTUAL MACHINE
WITH A XWINDOW SERVER RUNNING ON XP .SO YOU AVOID BAD OR NOT AVALAIBLE SCREEN DRIVERS .
IT WORKS VERY WELL . MY LAPTOP MANAGES MULTIPLE MONITORS SO
I KEEP THE INTERNAL FOR XP AND THE EXTERNAL RUNNING THE XSERVER FOR THE LINUX VIRTUAL MACHINE.
JUST LOOK AT THE COMENTS !

I run vmware(linux) on win2000, it working really fine, provided you have enough memory on your machine. But, running complex applications/tools like design compiler synthesizing a relatively large design can cause your virtual machine to run into swap, and will take ages to complete the synthesis.

can c@dence ic 5 run on a VMware or virtualPC based linux?

it's no problem for Cadence tool with virtual machine, but i think it not good
for big task. I use VPC6 in Mac OSX, the limitation of physical memory is 512M... :(

Some benchmark says VPC is a bit better than VmWare.

trial download of VPC5 for Windoz **broken link removed**

The virtual machine is working exactly like a native machine. Every software can run the same way as in the real computer. Anyway, it doesn't make sense to run a big program like IC5 in virtual machine. Since even run on physical machine, IC5 gives a quite slow response (unless you have an extremely high performance PC). Therefore, it can be started but hard to work with.

Virtual machine will suite you when you want to run basic applications or just view data on multiple OSs. I use VMware for myself and found it very useful. VMware is better in performance but VirtualPC is cheaper and more easy in setup.

So if I want proper performance, I should install VMWare for Linux and run Windows in a...errr.... Window?

How fast is a virtual machine? 1/2 the speed or less? My Notebook has a 1.7GB CPU and 256MB RAM.

ASIC

VMWARE IS FAST

ASIC said:
So if I want proper performance, I should install VMWare for Linux and run Windows in a...errr.... Window?

How fast is a virtual machine? 1/2 the speed or less? My Notebook has a 1.7GB CPU and 256MB RAM.

ASIC

The VIRTUAL MACHINE is quite fast .. There is a little OVERHEAD in the graphic part .That's why i recomend usig a xserver running on XP

You have to understand that VMAWARE is just virtual in sens that it EMULATES some peripheral PC HARDWARE . but the CODE run on the NATIVE PC .. son is FAST . is not emulating a PRECESSOR .
THE PRODUCT IS QUITE GOOD .. give it a try!

Sir Elton,

Thanks for your reply. Yes you are right, it is only necessary to virtualize and emulate some hardware and not the CPU. I did not think of that :( I will try it.

Also, the Xserver is a good idea. Specially on a notebook. I think I will run VMware windows and install two Linux versions. There are so many compatibility problems between the EDA tools and the Redhat versions.

ASIC

Ooops I forgot. What about DOS in a Virtual Machine window?

I know that Windows has a DOS box, but in my case I have to emulate the start-up sequence (boot loader, AUTOEXEC etc).

Also, what about the various virtual OS's. Do they need their own partitions?

ASIC

Please be noted that virtual machine takes the resources from the host machine. The more resources (RAM) you give for VM the more powerful it can provide (of course, can't be equal the real machine with same spec) and the lower of host performance in trade off.

From some bench marks said, in some basic applications, VMware can take at 15-20% lower than physical machine. But for some apps, it can be worse as 90% lower.

well VirtualPC is faster

VmWare is more stable ,i use it in windows 200 can instll unix and linux on it

hallo

i have installe linux and windows XP on my Pc
i then installed vmware in windows and tried to access the linux os
it worked fine , but i am having a problem with starting KDE,
i installed the VMware tools and KDE works only for one time
the next time i switch on my virtual machine
linux starts and when it comes to starting KDE ,it seems that KDE process dies and then it restarts and so on for ever and i cannot access my linux machine
does anyone have a similar problem
thanx

I think you have some configuration problems with your Xserver. Try to start linux at runlevel 3, then use setup to configure your Xwindows.
good luck.

I preferred using VMware before. But since VirtualPC is now part of Microsoft, I'd like to give a try. :?

I have one question. How can share files between two OS?

File Sharing

First have a look at those progs help files, explained there completely.

It depends on the OSs you use:
With windows based guest OSs on Windows based hosts, standart file sharing is available.
If one of the OS is a uniz clone you should use ftp or try using samba

hallo

i have a very strange problem with vmware

some times when i run linux as a guest in vmware
when i try to type my username and password
what the computer recieves is not what i am writing
for example if i am trying to login as root , my user name is root
when i type r , the computer recievs ^R
and so on ,
have any body encontered such problem
thanx

hi

About the typing 'r == ^R' in VM, I think u have problem with keyboard identification or just u turn Caps look... :eek: .

you need to edit VM by adding the port that your Keyboard is connencted; USB,serial....

Status
Not open for further replies.