Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why initial statement cannot be synthesized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunal1514

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

Can any body tell me.

Why cannot initial statement be synthesizeable ?

Regard's

Kunal Mishra

Initial Statement

initial statements are only used to give some predefined values to a signal @ the start of simulation.
The functionality of initial statements can be done in an FPGA which supports initial value assignment whereas it's not possible in an ASIC

Re: Initial Statement

at present, there is no valid method to implement the statements in initial block.

such as #3, that's hard to implement that.

kunal1514 said:
Hi All,

Can any body tell me.

Why cannot initial statement be synthesizeable ?

Regard's

Kunal Mishra

Re: Initial Statement

What if i don't give any delay between my statements in "initial" statement

As per me it may be a possible reason

1) Initial Statements execute at "0" simulation time. Also they executes only once not as always block.

2) Second statements inside "initial" statements executes after "Δ" delay which may be a reason that "initial" statements are not synthesizable.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Regard's

Kunal Mishra

Initial Statement

Verilog "initial" statements are fundamentally synthesizable, but a particular tool may not support it for practical reasons. Some FPGA tools support it. I'm guessing that ASIC tools generally don't support it due to some sort of difficulty with automatically instantiating a power-up reset circuit, but that's just my guess.

Yes, you can put delay values into initial blocks, but I see them as two independent synthesis issues. A particular tool might support one feature but not the other.

Initial Statement

systhesis is supported by eda tool, so u should consider the tool u use.
initial is scheduled by one time, but our circuit will work always

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back