Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about axial ratio in IE3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberich

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Dr Jian (or any one else) please I have some questions to ask you:
1_ Can you plase define for me the axial ratio that is calculated in the pattern view ( what is its expression ?)

2_ For the field I see that we can only get the gain and the directivity (in dBi), so is there a mean to get the module of E (in dB).

3_ I have a little matter, in english you define E left and the E right , but in french we define:
the contrapolar (cross) Ecross= EθsinΦ+EΦcosΦ
The coplanar (principal) Eco=EθcosΦ-EΦsinΦ

so what is the left and the right in all this , I know that these questions are basics so excuse me for disturbing.

thanks in advance
best regards

Re: Axial ratio in IE3D

Hi, Alberich:

1. Axial Ratio is following the standard definiton:

AR = Max / Min
Max or Min = Max or Min of ( abs( |Eleft|-Eright| ), abs( |Eleft| + |Eright| )
AR_dB = 20.0 * log10( AR )

2. The pattern quantity is normalized and it is distance independent. If you want to find E and H with a specified distance, you can select Edit->Pattern Manipulation and Wave Propagation. You are allowed to find the E and H values with given locations.

3. Eleft = ( Etheta + j Ephi ) / Sqrt(2)
Eright = (Etheta - j Ephi ) / Sqrt(2)

For the co and contrapolar formulas,

Ecross= EθsinΦ+EΦcosΦ
The coplanar (principal) Eco=EθcosΦ-EΦsinΦ

are Eθ and EΦ complex values? Are they used for characterizing a circularly polarized antenna? I can see the following:

When phi = 0, Eco = Etheta (or Eθ) and Ecross = Ephi (or EΦ) and they correspond to the linearly polarized waves in the English system.

When phi = PI/2, Eco = - Ephi and Ecross = Etheta. They are also linearly polarized waves. Are they supposed to be used for circularly polarized waves?

Alberich

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hi Dr Jian , excuse me for the late.
Yes we define this field and we compare them if they are close (in values) we tell that the antenna has a High cross polarisation.

But tell me there is still an ambiguity in my head:
for the field (E) if it is normalized, is it normalized to the isotropic antenne, and as long as it is normalized wht did I get some velues which are >0 ( for a normalize field themax is 1 so log(1) =0), I told that I am the first using IE3D in my school ad professor ask me a lot of question and I have to answer them to validate my work and convict them.

Thanks in advance and excuse me.
Best regards

Hi, Aberich:

The field for the pattern is normalized as:

E_true_field = E_pattern * C / r

Because E_true_field is inversely proportional to r, E_pattern is a constant of r. C is a constant of ( r, theta, phi) and it is related to whether E_pattern is for directivity or for gain.

Regards,

Alberich

Hi Dr JIAN,
I know that I am asking lot of questions but I have to know some things.
Look : remember what I define as being co and cross polar field I find that in english they are also called the horizontal and vertical they are defined in this topic :

SO how can I gt them in IE3D or do I must process them by displaying the E theta and E phi and after create a program that calculate them and plot them (example by matlab)
For thr normalized field I found my mistake if I would get it I call th custum or linear field it give me it in dB or in nodimension respectively so the max is 0 or 1 respectively
thanks a lot
respects and best regards

Hi, Alberich:

You can find the Eco or Ecross with phi = 0, 90, 180 and 270 with appropriate Etheta and Ephi. For other phi angle, you may not be able to get them automatically from IE3D/PATTERNVIEW.

You can do it on MATLAB. We will also try to implement it in future version. Regards.

Alberich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back