Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ONO layer in making PIP capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In CMOS Process, ONO layer is known as reoxidized nitrided oxide.

This layer was repleaced with SiO2, especially gate oxide of MOSFET.

it is said that Deep submicron MOSFET with ONO gate dielectrics was superior to the MOSFET with SiO2. The reasons are,

1. have improved saturation transconductance ( Frankly, I don't know what does it mean.)

2. device lifetime was improved.

okay. So far, FET with ONO gate dielectrics was really better than FET with SiO2

Some CMOS process supported PIP(poly Insulator Polt) capacitor with ONO dielectric.

why they use ONO Layer in making PIP Capacitor instead of SiO2?

FET with ONO have advantages surely.

What does it have advantage when I use PIP capacitor with ONO layer instead of PIP capacitor with SiO2 layer ?

I think the basic reasons for using such exotic materials is that they have a high K ( dielectric constant ). Hence, you can build a large cap out of them with LARGE dielectric thickness. The large thickness of dielectric means higher reliability and less susceptibility to process-induce failure. For example, the probability that metal will penetrate the dielectric shorting the two cap terminals, will decrease

Reactions: dustin76

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

dustin76

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
elbadry said:
I think the basic reasons for using such exotic materials is that they have a high K ( dielectric constant ). Hence, you can build a large cap out of them with LARGE dielectric thickness. The large thickness of dielectric means higher reliability and less susceptibility to process-induce failure. For example, the probability that metal will penetrate the dielectric shorting the two cap terminals, will decrease

Besides, it decreases the gate leakage .

ok, that's right

elbadry said:

Yes,high K materials can achieve the some Cox but with the thick tox, that will be good in sub-deep process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back