Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design an oscillator using 0.13um tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

najhannur

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys...

I am designing an oscillator which is going to generate a sine wave most probably using 0.13um tech. I read some of the suggestion for the oscillator design.
The oscillator would be use as a waveform generator part of a system ( might be using digital controller ) . I am sure that I need to design a mix signal environment.

My question are:

1.What is the most feasible way to design the oscillator where I can use for clock generation and to generate the sine waveform..and do I need to design a PLL?

2. Is it a good idea to place the waveform generator in a the same chip with the controlling system..i.e or it is better to have external clock.

Hope can give me some suggestion...

All you have asked is due to which applications you are concerned.
1. if you just want a clock which is not too high and it's frequency is fixed, you can use a crystal oscillator which is simple. And if you want to many different frequency, PLL is a good choice. but it is complex.
2. In SoC, a chip is a system, we don't want other external components. we prefer clock is internal.
But, applications in small system, you can use external clock for easy implementing.

that's my opinion. Hope it may give you some help.

Ryan

Thanx,

I am not sure whether I need only one frequency or multiple frequency. but I need to generate different phase signal of sine wave and digital clock for controlling the sine wave signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.