Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bluetooth RF Transceiver and baseband controler borad design

Status
Not open for further replies.
pstool bluesuite download

It looks like a lot of mfrs are waiting in the wings to launch their own module version of CSR and Broadcomm chipsets. Most of them are at final testing stage.

TI is joining the fray with a super high integration single chip solution - priced at uS$ 4.00 for 10K volume (Press release on web-site). The chip (BRF6100) is currently sampling - MP in September '02.

Things are hotting up in the BT arena !

Regards,

Smokey

rf transreceiver schematic designs

All

Keep your eyes on the Press announcements regarding CSR chips.
Something big or should I say very small is happening......
That is all

Phil

drdevcon said:
BC02 based class1 (+12dBm typ.) HCI-Module e.g. ALPS UGXZ1X1__A (USB), UGXZ1X2__A (BCSP), UGXZ1X7__A (H4), but i think, it's still preliminary, because i have no samples yet

Hi drdevcon.

I have seen a class1 module based on the CSR BC2 external but not designed by CSR achieving +17dBm and passing testing.
Cannot say more than that, but you are right a typical class1 BC2 is +14dBm typ.

Phil 8)

Are bluetooth devices interoperable--can a chip from one vendor work with a chip from another vendor?

coolitrom said:
Are bluetooth devices interoperable--can a chip from one vendor work with a chip from another vendor?

Hi coolitrom.

In theory the answer is yes.
In practice it is not always the case. Some of the earlier chips are not compliant to the latest BT specs and therfore may not work with another vendor who has a newer chip.
However the newer chips should all interop without any problem.

Phil :wink:

Hi Phil woz ere,

I knew you are very deep in knowledge in Bluetooth discussion, can I ask some question on this topic?
(1) What the one the major player in RF and transceiver design, - CSR, Philips, Ericcson (I knew she has been combined to Infineon), Motorola or or newcomer.

(2) Any single chip (baseband + RF), I heard about one year ago when the topic was very hot, some fabless design house has planned to issue this kind of IC.

(3) Any formal test is imposed in govern the hopping sequences because I don't know is it any regular pattern or just fixed frequency for test. Is any written test like GSM, DECT in ETSI specification.

Just interesting for discussion.

Best Rgs

Rayengine said:
Hi Phil woz ere,

I knew you are very deep in knowledge in Bluetooth discussion, can I ask some question on this topic?
(1) What the one the major player in RF and transceiver design, - CSR, Philips, Ericcson (I knew she has been combined to Infineon), Motorola or or newcomer.

(2) Any single chip (baseband + RF), I heard about one year ago when the topic was very hot, some fabless design house has planned to issue this kind of IC.

(3) Any formal test is imposed in govern the hopping sequences because I don't know is it any regular pattern or just fixed frequency for test. Is any written test like GSM, DECT in ETSI specification.

Just interesting for discussion.

Best Rgs

Hi RGS.

The answer is the real players are now CSR and Infineon. most of the others have dropped by the wayside and are not really competitive.
Although I have heard rumours about TI having a low cost solution.

Most of the Bluetooth chip companys now offer a single cmos chip that includes Baseband, RF and even the flash or masked rom.
Two chip solutions are no longer cost effective

For testing information and standards you need to visit:
https://www.bluetooth.com/
this is the official site that has links to all relative information.

Hope this helps.
Phil 8)

how to simulate LNA with ADS ?

As I know, TI also can provide a single-chip solution called Island. It has already passed the BQB test. So, you can also consider about it.

Today most Bluetooth modules only have low layers up to HCI. Usually, these modules are connected to another CPU (PDA, Mobile phone, computer) which has the power and the memory to take care of the upper layers. One more thing is that as you know there is not one bluetooth protocol, you have a lot of profiles. That is why your need (HCI only module) is 99% of bluetooth modules market.
For chipsets go to CSR, Broadcom, TI, Philips, Infineon, Silicon Wave, NS, etc.
For miniature modules, alps, murata, tayo yuden, etc.
For USB modules with antenna, there are hundreds of manufacturers.
Look for "Bluetooth module" on the web and enjoy.

Well, looks like this topic was silent for long (if dates in headers is correct).

Is there much changes with availability of OEM BT modules for a small volume buyers? I dig deeper and found some inexpensive modules based on CSR BlueCore 02 External (I think it is just reference design reproduced one-to-one) made in China. But MOQ is 500 pcs...

Is there sources other than btdesigner for samples/small lots? For now, looks like it will be cheaper to buy PenBlue dongles (manufactured by Mavin) and remove generic CSR BC-02E module and ceramic antenna from there. The only problem is firmware - I can't get that module to work with serial port (yes, there all three ports present and all is well described at Mavin website - they offer this modules separately, too, but can't get the reply with price and MOQ from them...)

And another question - is there any evaluation ;-) version of blab/bsuite on the net?

PS: Mavin dongles is available for about $25 + shipping on eBay. Local guys here, in Russia, ask $60 for the same... ;-) Module inside is exactly the same as OEM module offered by Mavin.

Status
Not open for further replies.