Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's VCO free-running meaning ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovebow

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
free running vco

Anyone give some explaination.

Thanks .

give the meaning of vco

this is the frequency , which will be out of the VCO without applying the control voltage ,

khouly

free running vco vs. locked vco

It's the frequency of the VCO outside of a PLL, yes I agree, it is the oscillation frequency when there is not a control voltage.

VCO can have a control voltage and still be un-locked. Steering a VCO with a voltage from say a variable bench PSU does not make it locked. I would say free-running is anything outside the closed PLL loop. A loop can be opened and the control voltage can go either pin high or low, depending on the design.

Wording from a patent document
BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION

Electronic devices such as RF (Radio Frequency) receivers, transmitters and various other devices include a VCO operating within a PLL (Phase Locked Loop) to maintain a desired oscillation frequency.

It is conventional practice to tune a VCO to a particular initial frequency before it leaves its factory. This is typically accomplished by using factory equipment to measure the frequency of the VCO while it is free-running (i.e., the PLL is opened),

it's the VCO running stand alone ( not in closed loop with a PLL )

The VCO is not in PLL closed loop, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back