Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which VHDL/Verilog Editor is the best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
vhdl text editor

Each Tool has its strength. ModelSim is popular. You can use Riviera (Aldec)

windows vhdl editor

When it comes to editor for hdl , I think Emacs is the best. There exists verilog-mode.el and vhdl-mode.el. They can complete plenty of dirty work for you. In additon to that , you can use other modes to complete lots of fantastic work, such as fold , auto-complete etc.

editor for vhdl

I like UltraEdit.
It has a function of editing column-wise. When you do large designs with large case statements, column-wise editing comes handy.

verilog edit tool

i think modelsim and xilinx are the best. You can even get a student pack(i think).

verilog hdl editor

hdl designer

Re: vhdl editor

Personally I prefer Sigasi HDT, but it's only VHDL. Before that I used Crimson Editor which was OK too.
I tried NotePad+ too.

I think, Modelsim is good but too slow on my machine.

Try UltraEdit.

I used Modelsim and Xilinx ISE as editors (as well as for their primary role) cos I had no other editor for verilog/vhdl syntax highlighting. But these really have the minimum and should not be considered as editors, both being huge software dedicated for simulation and synthesis, not free at all for Modelsim, and using more than 10GB (!!) in the case of ISE. The editors included are just there for convenience.

Emacs is just like doing many things but is not simple at all. In my opinion it's just stuff for jerks. I really much prefer Ultraedit which is even more powerful and yet much much simpler. You can do so many things but you still have a beginner friendly toolbar, and everything is focused on easy edition, comprehensive naming, which is not the case of emacs.

Ultraedit is especially good for being able to highlight almost any language with a system of language files (a few hundred are downloadable). It also has auto indent, text folding, scripts, advanced search engines using variables, macros, comments hiding, conversion of characters, or spaces to tab, file formats, project management and much much more...

I mean you may find a few of these in emacs but you will have to type an obscure Linux-like command to be able to get it. This is also the problem for VI. My colleage just used VI but he just had to recognize that he actually had no reason for using a complicated tool such as VI or emacs while he could use something much more user friendly like UltraEdit and that does the same and much more (ok it is not a file manager nor a mail client like emacs is, and you cannot play tetris with it, but who cares ??)

It just to remind me of the first time I installed Linux. I had to struggle to find the multimedia player to play some music. The program was actually something like "xmms". No one can deny that anybody would understand better "xxx Multimedia Player" or "MP3 xxx" than "xmms"... What those developpers are thinking about ?? It's just nonsense to me.

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:58 ----------

Indeed, it's very useful when you have plenty of signals with similar names to edit in paralle, which is more the case in a HDL language where you instantiates many buses and other "parallel" stuff, compared to the sequential approach in C/C++
Column mode is a must have actually.
I tried quite a few softs but definitely UltraEdit is doing a great job and very simply.

I used VIM editor ....found it good ....even ISE editors is also decent.....the formating , indentation and all in VIM is very good

Well who the hell cares if a text editor is light in memory ?? When you have a PC with 2 or 4GB of RAM, why the hell should you care whether your editor is using 2MB or 20MB in RAM ??

+1 for Notepad++. My favourite.... very easy to use and free tool :)

The best I've used is Notepad++ which is free for writing VHDL and Xilinx ISE using ISIM to simulate.

imho Scriptum HDL is the best. u may try vim if u r a unix freak.

very useful post.

You should check emacs with verilogmode (Veripool)

Its widely used in industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back