Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer controlled motor using VB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceVance

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Working on installing a laptop in a friends car, and we were playing with the idea of controlling HVAC controls with the PC. All we would need is a motor that would turn left or right, around 300 degrees (turning the same wire that the knob typically would), connected to the PC by serial port or preferably USB. We would also need to be able to run 3 of them (Hot/Cold, Fan Speed, Vent Selection) simultaneously. I only know a little VB so that would be the preferred method (using variables to control motor rotation). Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!

u dont have any problem finding a stepper motor to do this but if u want to use USB port you are deadly in troble because its hard to work with USB I suggest that u use premade ics for driving motors with USB

Hi ;)

Very long time ago i got the same problem :)
I have made a little board with PIC's controllers connected to
RS-232 , it have work very well.
look here :
**broken link removed**
click on English flag or try to read french :D
They is the full VB6 source and the Hex for the PIC's

cya.

Hi,
If you are using USB I would suggest you buy USB board rather than build it. serial port thing looks fine I guess.

Good Luck.

I purchased a motor controller from www.byvac.co.uk that works from RS232 (via one of those USB to RS232 converters). It just uses text commands to step the motor, worked great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back