Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is "loop delay"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
" In S-R latch, even a narrow spike or glitch occuring during an active clock phase can set or reset the latch, if the loop delay is shorter than the pulse width"

I quote above the words, in my digital book.

What is the "loop delay"?

Hi ,
As i think loop delays is in sense of Delay which is required to change the state of latch ...if its Nand Gate Latch its reuired 2 Nand gate delay for changing its state and hence loop delay is 2 Nand gate delay ....
If i m wrong correct me..
Regards

loop delay
is like input looped to output

and this is the delay time it takes to feed back thru the gate etc

a loop is a closed circuit of any kind bit like a relay race using battons

if forinstance you use a jam register to program its self

I think loop delay is the time taken by the signal from output terminal to the input terminal as there is feedback in Latch/FF. I am not sure about this please refer to some other text books.

thanks for your kind explain.

but I don't know so far. sorry -_-

if "loop delay" means "delay between Q_bar and R1", Real delay appeared in Q.

see following picture. I ignore gate delay.

Waveform is right?

Even though "loop delay" is longer than pulse width, glitch cause to set or reset the latch output!

text Book tell me like this :

" To illustrate the operation of the clocked SR latch, a sample sequence of CK, S and R waveforms and the correspinding otuput waveform Q are shown in Fig

Note that the circuit is strictly level-sensitive during active clock phases; i.e., any changes occurring in the S and R input voltages when the CK level is equal to "1" will be reflected onto the circuit outputs, Consequently even a narrow spike or glitch occurring during an active clock phase can set or reset the latch, if the loop delay is shorter than the pulse width."

U can't ignore the delay of the gates...

A simple example which gives solution to ur above diagram...

Take a NOR gate and assume that one i/p is ground and other input is at high(say 1.5v) and so the output is at zero... Now u give a zero to the high i/p for a very short time and can u tell me the o/p of that Gate.. u can't say the o/p is high coz it won't reach 1.5v at the o/p ....

If u considered the same thing in the above circuit
then u can easily get why the GLITCH should stay more than the LOOP DELAY.

If u r not clear then feel free to ask me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back