Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions and topics regarding GSM and SS7

Status
Not open for further replies.

leekk8

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm currently working in telecommunication field, and always dealing with GSM and SS7. Thus, I open this topic to have discussion with all the edaboard users.

My first question,
How TCAP ID is assigned and how it can distinguish the same transaction?

ss7 gsm

Nobody has idea about SS7??? I want to know how the destination equipment decide if the received message is belonging to a transaction earlier.

Besides TCAP ID, do they look at other things as well, such as Calling GT or Called GT?

where ss7 is used

Sharing some info about SS7:

All the submodules in SS7 protocol stack:
- MTP1
- MTP2
- MTP3
- SCCP
- ISUP
- TUP
- SNM
- SNT
- MAP
- INAP/CAP
- TCAP

Added after 1 minutes:

Sharing info about GSM:

All the elements in GSM network:
- BTS
- BSC
- MSC
- VLR
- HLR
- AUC

gsm ss7 protocol

After few years working in telco industry...long time didnt update in this forum :)

For my question earlier, there is TCAP originating ID and TCAP destination ID, so all the transaction can be recognized and correlated...

Anyway, the new version of SS7 is SS7 over IP, which we call Sigtran. The difference is Sigtran running in IP.

ss7 + ssn and their meaning +252

I guess nobody knows about SS7.There hasn't been a single reply from 2007-2009 :).

ss7 and gsm

What is the SS7 question? I work with it every day and may be able to help.

gsm ss7

umery2k75,

In fact, there is not many people know about SS7, but it's a very important signaling in GSM network. Anyway, only those working in telco industry and dealing with signaling will know this. :)

tnerber,

I open this thread when I first learning about SS7, but there is no follow up until now. Anyway, Im dealing with SS7 in my job as well. Maybe we can discuss any issue in SS7 that we face. :) Are you working in telco industry?

difference between gsm and ss7

i've some material about ss7,it is a protocol,if u r interesed i can upload it

motorola xcdr cabinet picture

Oh great, we have xulfee over here.He knows about SS7 too.Upload it, I will see what it is.

understanding ss7 in gsm

Good, then we can share the knowledge here and discuss if any issue faced. :)

Anyway, this is not limited to SS7, but also can discuss about SS7 over IP and GSM.

gsm ssn 252

Anybody can explain a bit about BICC?

What's the function?
When this protocol needs to be used?

ssn 146 camel

Hi,
About your question about BICC, i can tell what i know:
BICC is link ISUP masseges, but with extra parameters, and it's used when there is BICC route between two MSC servers controlling two MGW, and there is ATM/IP link between these two MGW's.

i will try to upload some documents about this issue if you interesting.

hlr vlr gsm ss7 tutorial

Hi, anas

Yes, thanks...Im interested to know more about BICC and it's great if you have some documents about BICC. Currently I only manage to get the ITU-T specification of BICC but not getting any tutorial on this.

Do you mean that, if BICC used, there is no more ISUP message? Between 2 MSC servers, only BICC can be used but not ISUP?

ss7 subsystem number vlr hlr msc sgsn 149 146

I am dealing a lot know with SS7 over IP using SIGTRAN. It has many of the same challeges and requirements of SS7. Anyone else worked with SIGTRAN?

msc bsc tcap

Hi, tnerber

Yes, Im dealing with Sigtran as well...I think all of us here are dealing with SS7 and Sigtran. :)

itu ssn 146

Another question. Normally VLR sit together with MSC in a single physical element. Is it possible a single VLR have more than one GT? I know they can have more than one point code. But, how about GT?

gsm versus ss7

For a single call, is it possibe we can have more than one Page Response messages in A-Interface?

ss7 network between bsc and msc

leekk8 said:
Another question. Normally VLR sit together with MSC in a single physical element. Is it possible a single VLR have more than one GT? I know they can have more than one point code. But, how about GT?

Hi.
I really don't understand the question. What do you mean? The VLR GT normally is only one since that is the GT the nodes contact for info (e.g the HLR for MSRN).
Gt is the info needed for SCCP Routing. One MSC node can have functionalities embedded such as HLR, VLR, AUC and all these functions are differentiated by the SSN and GT. So there can not be a VLR node with two GTs for the same reason, for the same query.

gt in ss7

free_lo said:
leekk8 said:

Hi.
I really don't understand the question. What do you mean? The VLR GT normally is only one since that is the GT the nodes contact for info (e.g the HLR for MSRN).
Gt is the info needed for SCCP Routing. One MSC node can have functionalities embedded such as HLR, VLR, AUC and all these functions are differentiated by the SSN and GT. So there can not be a VLR node with two GTs for the same reason, for the same query.

Maybe my question is a bit confusing. I want to ask, since VLR and MSC can be embedded in a single pysical network element, will the VLR and MSC GT to be same? Is there any possibility the VLR and MSC has different GT?

what is ss7

leekk8 said:
free_lo said:
leekk8 said:

Hi.

Maybe my question is a bit confusing. I want to ask, since VLR and MSC can be embedded in a single pysical network element, will the VLR and MSC GT to be same? Is there any possibility the VLR and MSC has different GT?

As I said depends on the function. Yes it can be a different GT for MSCs and for VLR. It will require SCCP routing on GT and SSN and not on SP. There are different SSNs for VLR and for MSC, GMSC. Here you have a list.

6 -HLR
7 - VLR
8 -GMSC, MSC
9 - EIR
10 - AUC
12 -SC
146- CAMEL
149 -SGSN
251 -SSF
252-SCP
254 - BSC

Status