Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speed of Microblaze in comparison with PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodkumar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,
iam implementing an algorithm which uses input data as floating point with complex computations.i used PC to solve this and as it is very to do with C,now i want to implement it onto FPGA.i was told to use microblaze,but my doubt is

IS IT FASTER COMPARE TO PC DO?

plz respond.

thanks in advance.

Re: microblaze

That will depend on what FPGA you will use.
I haven't tried the Microblaze IP, and don't know if it can perform floating point operations.
If you want your algorithm to perform the fastest, then you should try to implement it directly in hardware, implying that you have to define your own architecture.
Also, you will need to implement floating point logic, which I don't think is as easy to implement as fixed point.

I think that Microblaze can help you, but that will depend on the clock frequency that it runs.

An example:
I once implemeted a 1024-point DCT in a Spartan-3 FPGA with a 50 MHz clock, and itc omputed the whole DCT in 400 microseconds (with fixed point)

I also implemented the algorithm in Matlab (floating point double precision), and it computed the algorithm in approx 1 milisecond. Now, the PC I used had a Pentium 4 processor running at 2.1 GHz. Of course you have to consider that RAM access in the PC is very slow, but still it had a 266 MHz bus, faster than the FPGA clock.

microblaze

MicroBlaze is horribly slow compared to a modern PC.
https://www.xilinx.com/ipcenter/processor_central/microblaze/microblaze_fpu.htm
https://www.xilinx.com/ipcenter/processor_central/microblaze/performance.htm

Soft processor cores and floating point are both clumsy things to do in today's FPGAs. If you can redesign your algorithm into integer arithmetic, and use parallel processing stages that take advantage of the FPGA's architecture, then your system could run much faster than a PC.

MicroBlaze is great if you need a CPU that you can program conveniently in C to do light processing and housekeeping tasks, or maybe run a low-performance operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back