Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help for DC-DC convertor using passive components

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhishek.jain.1985

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone plz guide me to a circuit that can amplify voltage from few mV to few Volts level only using passive components.

I've tried but failed to get any satisfactory result.

This circuit could be a great help in Solar Power Generation.

Unfortunately, the requirement of passive components eliminates everything capable of amplification. Did you mean discrete components?

abhishek.jain.1985 said:
Can anyone plz guide me to a circuit that can amplify voltage from few mV to few Volts level only using passive components.

Really do not understand well your question.
In general:
- For DC voltage, no circuit.
- For AC voltage, maybe you can use appropriate transformer, but remember that it can help amplify voltage, but consumes power.

So think again about your needs. If you need a satisfactory conversion, you have to use any active component/circuits.

nguyennam

Enquiry: Help for DC-DC convertor using passive components
well i want to amplify DC voltage which can be done using Diode and Capacitor as in
voltage multipkliers, but htey work with AC circuits only , so need help find a circuit
fror DC voltage

These to not amplify. They change the DC bias, but the discontinuous waveform segments are actually attenuated. There are passive components that oscillate as well, but this is a different issue.

If you can relax your requirement of only passive components, then we can help you more. What is the function you seek? From there I will assume you want it to be small, cheap, and simple.

Just for history's sake, the passive component requirement is not impossible, its just impractical with all the modern components that we have today.

Back in the early days of automobile radio, the only active devices were vacuum tubes. These tubes require a large plate voltage. The problem because how to generate this voltage. The solution was a relay and a transformer. The relay contacts connected the transformer's primary to the battery. The relay's coil was attached to the battery with a set of normally closed contacts. Every time the relay pulled in, it broke its own relay current and the relay would drop back out before energizing let again. The allowed the relay to produce pulsed DC to the transformer which stepped up the voltage and fed the plates of the vacuum tubes.

As far a power generation from solar cells, so some searching of the Texas Instruments web site. They release a new IC a couple of weeks ago that is designed to take the varying low voltage output from a solar cell and step it up to levels that can be useful to microcontrollers etc.

ok if we can find a circuit the other way round it would help,
from now i feel to convert DC to AC ,
Step up AC supply then convert it back to DC

but the problem is very small voltage of 90 mV.

I think there is a lot of information missing here. You have a solar panel that produces 90mV, and you want to use this to power a project?

The Texas Instruments part that operates from a single solar cell can be found at:

**broken link removed**

well i dont have to power a project of a solar panel but i want to generate power from remote source.

i am giveng away all info.....

i have to boost DC supply from few mV to few V.

i want to do it using passive components but i thing it is not possible at all.

latest of all is the texas instruments web link which is usefull but the problem is that the chip is not available in my area in INDIA.

still i am working on alternative route to success.

if possible the project would be able to generate electricity from thin AIR.
even in space the project would be working.

although i am not using any solar panels as they are quite costly here.

this can dream for us .by present passive component it is not possible

abhishek.jain.1985 said:

I suggest u to use voltage reference instead just searsh for the v-reference u need the device looks like a simple transistor and can work with passive elements :D

abhishek.jain.1985 said:
well i dont have to power a project of a solar panel but i want to generate power from remote source.

latest of all is the texas instruments web link which is usefull but the problem is that the chip is not available in my area in INDIA.

Now when you realize an active converter is the must, so you encounter the other problem: a few mV cannot stimulate/open any semiconductor junction or gate, so you cannot deal with only that few mV from the beginning.

In my opinion, you should tell in details your idea/project so we can talk about any feasible solution. I agree with you that you do not need to use any expensive and/or hard-to-find components.

nguyennam

abhishek.jain.1985 said:

Look at the size of the chip are you sure you can handle it? If that is the case then contact TI guys through mails. They might mail it to your house. But, note that you'll need additional components also for this.

82_1181419303.jpg

70_1181419424.jpg

Circuit DC12V to DC50V

----------------------------------------
https://www.elecfree.com/electronic Circuit Electronic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back