Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Lumped Ports and Wave ports in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

maria fernanda

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!!
I am simulating a CPW (attached picture), using 2 dielectric materials as substrate. I know the rule of thumb for defining wave ports when I use only one dielectric (width wave port =3(2*w+s)) and (length wave port=4h)and it woks!, but when I applied this rule for two dielectrics assuming the total thickness equal to the sum of two dielectrics, it did not work!.

I do not know if I should use the same rule when I am designing the CPW with 2 dielectric substrates or its better use Lumped port than wave ports in this case. I got wrong characteristic impedance.

I will appreciate your help:D

I see no picture...

CPW is a little bit tricky in HFSS. Just try to increase/decrease both in x- and y- dimensions of the wave port rectangle. I had to reduce a bit the size of the wave port from the recommended values to get proper characteristic impedance.

Take a look in help at the note on "calculating characteristic impedance". They recommend using the Zpv form of the calculation. I usually place an impedance line from a sideground and the center, even if there is a lower groundplane present. Then check the port fields display to make sure you are exciting the desired mode.

This is an obscure point and I hope that it is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back