Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WHICH ONE IS DANGEROUS? AC OR DC?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
High current DC is the most dangeous electrical current, because it ionizes the blood globules cells and makes the blood coagulated

neggar_8051 said:
DC. Coz AC is pulsating. U r pushed back when u get a shock.
So chance of survival.

Are you sure that this is property of AC that it push you back..!!! I have doughts about this statement..

Naveed

Most of the explanations given above do not have any proof or any strong base to conclude.....AC pulsates...DC attracts...et all.. but as mentioned by VSMguy peak value for a 120V AC would be higher (120V is RMS val) than 120V DC so .... how the instantaneous current flow would be should be an easy guess (assuming human body is mostly resistive element) Also seen in real life DC casualties are much lesser as compared to AC (though one can say DC is far less used than AC) however in practice it has been observed DC gives you a strong shock and throws you away (this shack can be fatal and can also cause sever burn injuries) however in AC electrocutions victim's muscles are immediately paralyzed and shock doesn't repels at all (rather it attracts) so it results in a sudden death.

Added after 4 minutes:

And shiv_emf, yes the frequency of DC IS 0 Hz which means infinite period (there is nothing funny abt it). As the period refers to the time it takes to complete one cycle, which DC never does, until infinity.

When looking volt for volt AC is more dangerous. That is the same voltage AC will kill you sooner than DC. The reason lies in the fact that AC forces muscles to work with the rhythm of AC that is 50-60Hz-including heart muscles.

When Tesla introduced AC Edison used the dangers of AC to persuade the public that his DC system is safer. In one od his demonstrations he has killed an elephant with AC voltage. You would need a lot of DC current to make elephant blood boil and kill him.

buddy its gud..

but the fact u hav said is true reg. ele-phant...

there's only one way to tell.
half of you guys try to kill yourselves with DC, and the other half try to kill yourselves with AC.
report back tomorrow.

Although there is no evidence of which type is dangerous I will like to put it this way:

I have felt the electric shock of a telephone line (40 V DC aprox) in my hands and also felt 120 volts AC in my tongue (don't ask why please, i was too young) and believe me I still remember those 40 V DC.

DMan. yes and tesla decided NOT to kill animals with DC though he surely could have.

tesla cranked his system up until it sparked and then reached out and touched it. then he challenged edison to do the same with his DC machine ... which of course he wouldn't (he would die).

the truth is you can only evaluate on a case by case basis. need more information than just "ac or dc?".

but.. if that's all the info you have, then i say that AC is less dangerous because you can crank the frequency up and it becomes harmless.

DC, it is always potentially dangerous.

Mr.Cool

imho comparing AC and DC based on shock experience is not good - the skin resistance (which is most important ) depends on many factors including skin humidity, skin thickness at the pint the voltage entered body , physical condition (whether individual tired, sick ... ), current path (most dangerous if not wrong is through heart) , individual's physical properties (skin and body resistance varies)

It could be DC voltage more dangerous as it provides uniform current through body while AC (same supplied power RMS values for AC and DC) could experience non resistive impedance nature of human body and current alternates . Of course there are bio and chemical processes carried out but i dont know about those.

echo47 said:
Even a half-million volts at 60 Hz is relatively safe if you approach it *very* carefully:
http://www.glumbert.com/media/highpower

What a job!

Do these guys get 1 USD/V salary?

According to rms volltage of AC and Dc voltage in a same interval , AC is less sustainable

Surely ac is more dangerous than dc if both have the same RMS values. Because peak value of acc will be root 2 times greate than the RMS value. During the peak value of ac, it will be more harmful and could be fatal.

its DC

ξpublic has given reason is trueξ

YOu jus cannot say like that ,there are other parameters also ,specify aal the things

those two are dangerous When they are in higher potential
but Dc is more dangerous more than Ac
bcoz DC wont come to GND

puneet bansal said:
PLZ LET ME KNOW WHICH ONE OF AC & DC IS DANGEROUG?
PLZ HELP ME WITH LOGIC.
:idea:
Hi Puneet;
Although It look quite simple question, but is not so. As in my openion but AC and DC are dangerous the difference is of ampere (Current) Ba high amp. AC is also deadly. Although AC has sinosudally varing amplitude which means that it attracts and repel alternatly depending on the frequency..... while the DC always keep u in same state.

Hello,

not to comment truth, half-truth, mistake and myth from the nearly endless discussion, I just wanted to illustrate the viewpoint of security rules (IEC1010) in this regard.

In normal operation, the following levels are regarded as contact-dangerous

AC voltage 30 Vrms respectively 42.4 Vpeak
DC voltage 60 V

AC current 0.5 mArms / 0.7 mApeak
DC current 2 mA
AC current 70 mArms (HF)

The explanation has already been given in the discussion, although not shared by all contributers. But be sure, that the rules are well-founded by empirical science.

Regards,
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back