Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WHICH ONE IS DANGEROUS? AC OR DC?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
DC BUT , AC MAY BE

DEPEND ON THE PERSON HEATH, SLIM OR FAT ,

JOKING , BOTH ARE DANGEROUS ,

DC :- YOU FEEL CONSTANT SHOCK

AC :- YOU FEEL ZIGZAG SHOCK

YOU CAN ENJOY WITH AC

That's like asking "Which would you rather get run over by, a truck or a bus?".
Both can kill, although a little shock every now and again is good for the soul ;)

DC is more dangerous as compared to AC
another fact for AC is that at some frequencies it repels the human body if some shock is there

I think it's a fun topic. Hopefully everyone will take electrical safety seriously, but no-one will take this thread too seriously.

It does seem that ventricular fibrulation and the tendency for muscle contraction (locking you to the source of the current) are bigger for ac. And very interesting comment above about the standards by Frank above.

Although I only skimmed the thread quickly, I don't remember seeing any compelling reasons to consider dc more dangerous in general.

As others have mentioned, it's tough to nail it down without knowing specifically what is the activity under consideration.

If you told me my job was to high-potential test a motor to approx twice it's rated insulation value using either an ac hi-pot set or a dc hi-pot set, there may be another reason to believle there would be more hazard in ac. The reason is that the ac test set must have it's overcurrent trip setpoint high enough to accomodate the relatively high capacitive current to ground. The dc hi-pot overcurrent trip is set much lower, only enough to accomodate the much lower resistive leakage current. From that perspective dc might be safer in this instance.

I think the level of protective trip provided (including response time), the source impedance, and other factors may sometimes be more important than whether it is ac or dc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back