Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WHICH ONE IS DANGEROUS? AC OR DC?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its DC. because it attracts. AC gives you a shock but repels because of alternating polarity.

DC is more dangerous than AC because AC change its direction many time in a sec. while DC does not.
In AC man got slight shock but secure while in DC man die at once when touch it.

It depends upon the frequency of the AC. By Murphy's Law the mains frequency is the worst one for muscle contraction. You touch the wire and your fingers stay clutched.

DC is dangerous ..
hey wht is the frequency of DC ???

puneet bansal,
This argument has been raging since the days when Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse were competing for lighting contracts. If you search the web, you can find statements either way. However, most of the claims are unsubstantiated opinion. The two most authoritative articles that I have found can be found at the following sites:
http://www.pfeiffereng.com/Principals of Electrical Grounding.pdf
**broken link removed**
The first article has a table showing the following levels:
. Perception
. "Cant let go"
. Atrial fibrillation
Take a look.
The conclusion of both articles is that AC is more dangerous.
Regards,
Kral

AC, low frequency AC across the heart will cause a miss beat and kill you.. Across the heart meaning from one hand to the other.

DC continuously repeats itself! ;-)

DC is more dangerous than AC. DC is continous so if u ge stck ther are no chances of getting left but if it is an AC u may get left in the variating gaps

yeah but what if you increase the frequency to a very fast level. wouldn't ac act as dc then?

If you increase frequency to high values, the risk os shock comes down due to skin effect. With increasing frequency current tends to flow through the surface. This can happen in KHz range. This property is used in shows where a man holds the ends of a tube light and the tube glows.

DC is much more dangerous to the human than AC

puneet bansal said:
zero
b'cause dc never repeats itslef
the value is constant for all time.:D

zero frequency??

that means it has infinite time period !!

I think both of the dangerous but the level of hurt is depends on the amplitude and frequency of AC and amplitude of DC

Peak voltage of AC is higher.

you have to provide more information cause it depends on the voltage level of comparison and frequency of the AC. because i can touch 12V battery terminal and not flinch, and i can touch 12V AC and not flinch. so they are neither dangerous in this scenario.

until you define how this comparison is to be made all answers of one or the other are WRONG period.

Mr.Cool

Yes, there's a lot of variables in most injury scenarios. 12V (AC or DC) is usually not a shock hazard, but it can still be dangerous. I knew a fellow who wore a ring on his finger while working on his car's engine. He somehow caught the ring between the battery cable and ground. The ring lit up like a light bulb and burned his finger down to the bone. Yeow!!

there is also a difference between voltage and current :)

DC is different, because its value doesn't change with time. i meant, there is no concept of cycling, so it will give you shock with its peak voltage always.

AC is less dangerous, it has cycles, it returns to zero also, so it do not give you constant shock with its peak value...

Naveed

DC. Coz AC is pulsating. U r pushed back when u get a shock.
So chance of survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back