Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is meaning of S11, S12,S13......?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anwer_sbh

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
s11 parameter

what is meaning of S11, S12,S13......?
and how can i know if s-parameter is OK or not?

vswr s11

If you want more information about S parameters, you can read "Microwave Engineering" by David M. Pozar. This book explain about S parameters with clear enough.

For antenna example, S11 is ok when the value is usually below -10 dB. While S21, S12, etc. is important for element that has more than one port. For example, directional coupler has 4 port, so it has S11, S12, S13, S14, etc.

s11 reflection coefficient

Sxj , is the ration between the voltage wave in the port x , and the voltage wave in the port j
S11 , represent the reflection coefficient , S21 represnt the output wave to the input wave which is the gain ,

and so on

khouly

s11 s12

Sij=Vi-/Vj+, where I is the output port and J is the input port, - is incident onto the port from the network and + is incident from the port to the network. The port has a reference plane from which we relate everything to.

But how is this valid in non-TEM waveguides?
Problem 1: We can't measure V or I in RF. (Remember we redefined voltage and current).
Solution: Measure it using power. (Sij=sqrt(Pi-)/sqrt(Pj+), where P+=0.5|V+|2/Z, P-=0.5|V-|2/Z, so we defined the a=V+/sqrt(Z), b=V-/sqrt(Z). and the powers become P+=0.5|a|2, P-=0.5|b|2. Therefore Sij=b/a.

Problem 2: This wll cause the S parameters to be dependant on Zc.
Solution: We'll use Zc=50 Ohms as our standard, relate everything to it.

Problem 3: We need a matched load over the RF spectrum to be able to measure the S parameters.
Solution: Use the standard 50 Ohms load.

Solution 3: Futher discussions

Some people will say the standard load termination will still cause reflections into the port, thats correct, but it'll cause no input wave from the terminated port. i.e. The reflected wave is reflected from the inside of the port, not incident from outside the refrence plane (remember V+ is defined as incident from outside the refrence plane), so it won't contradict out definition of the S-parameters.

You can check Wikipedia's link on S parameters for more info

s11 parameters

S11: Reflection Loss (VSWR)
S12: Insertion Loss
S21: Gain
S22: Output VSWR

s11 reflection

S11 is not VSWR. S11=V(reflected)/V(input) but
VSWR=(V(input)+V(reflected))/(V(input)-V(reflected))

reflection coefficient s11

when i say that S11: Reflection Loss (VSWR), i mean that we could estimate the vswr from the S11!!! if S11<-10 then VSWR<2

what is s11 parameter

Hi jafargholi,

I found your first answer to be appropriate for the spirit of the original question. What I liked was the simple, straightforward response that provided insight into what s-parameters describe.

I have answered questions in a similar way and often felt the need to respond with more detail as you have here. I understand your dilemma.

The other answers provided were also valid and I have no argument with any of them. Again, I liked your brief response.

what is s11

to understand whether s-parameters values are good/bad, you need to really understand what each s-parameter stands for (SAJ25 post is good and succinct on this).

Then you also need to know what the device you are measuring is supposed to be doing:
- are you expecting power to move between ports x and y (for Sxy) and in which direction?
etc

s11 vswr

u can search in wikipedia..there have good explanation...

s11 parameter

thanks a lot

what is s12

Probably not needed now, but if anyone comes across this. When reading up on s-parameters, just think, S_ab is the wave out port a from an input at port b. This is only for matched loads at all ports though.

s12 reflection

S11 is tested for input matching.
S21 is the gain.
S12 is tested for feedthough.
S22 is tested for output matching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back