Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current capacity for PCB vias

Status
Not open for further replies.

running2k

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
thumb rule current through a pcb via

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can share the experience/ rule of thumb of the current capacity for vias in PCB layouts. THanks

Thanks, Ramesh, but that paper doesn't give any rule of thumb to do it.

Added after 5 minutes:

Hey, OradFarez, thanks for sharing the tools. Could you give me an idea what's criteria to choose the via size using that tool, i mean, what's maximum loss is allowed??

For myself, I just use the circumlength of the fininshed via as the trace width, then using this tool to check it:

h**P://circuitcalculator.com/wordpress/2006/01/31/pcb-trace-width-calculator/

Do you guys think it's correct??

running2k

I suggest to you the reading of book "The Circuit Designer's Companion" by Tim Willians. In this book you can read "the characteristic impedance for a copper track over a ground plane on a double-side work out around 100-150 ohm for narrow tracks on 1.6 mm thickness, reducing to around 75-100 ohm on 0.7 mm". The book includes figures that show the theoretical resistance for various thickness of copper track per centimetre, etc.

Regards, svicent

Rule of thumb:
A via of x diameter will carry the same current as a track on the same board of 3x width.

Hi,

Btbass,could you please shed some light on the rule of thumb ur talking about,do appreciate if could upload the link for the same.

Regards

Ramesh

The Circumference of a circle is Pi x Dia.
If you could straighten out your via, you would have a track through the board of Pi x Dia width.

Simplified? yes, but it is a rule of thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back