Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reducing the power consumption by reducing the crystal frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

microlab

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear friends

as all of you know that AT 89c51 will work up to 24 Mhz
i was using 12 Mhz crystal
i came to know that we can reduce the p[ower consumption by reducing the
crystal frequency.what will be the difference if i use a 2 Mhz cryatal?
how much power we can save ?

thankung you

ml

8051 power saving

... and watch out - depending on your application, is might be NOT the microcontroller which has the bigger power consumption...

Also, be aware that there are other techniques to reduce power consumption, for example decreasing supply voltage e.g. using 3V parts; putting the part into some of low power modes (classical '51 has 2: idle and powerdown) from time to time...

wek

Re: 8051 power saving

Watch out for selected latches, buffers and memories in your system, a selected memory can draw tens of miliamps, even if the outputs aren't active. Also, if you have a serial EEPROM, you might consider increasing the clock frequency to quickly complete the transactions, rather then bothering to obtain a few tens of microamps by lowering it

Re: 8051 power saving

lower frequency and lower power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back