Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I can't understand why nobody use pro*tel 99 or dxp

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongyijia

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In our country we all use prot*el 99 and dxp .I see people here like using eagle soft.But I feel although it's more simple But can't draw a nicer sch or a pcb doc
than pro*tel 99 or dxp.Is that because the eagle soft is free?

nop!
its because Protel is a software with zero intelligence. try creating a Decal, it allow to have same pin no for multiple pads :)). which make no sence. its a improved version of Mspaint.

i really dont see much cost difference between PADS and Protel. only difference is Protel come will lot of junk.

Binu G

binu G

I guess you are not having a good day ?

Altium/Protel has many professional users as does Eagle and many others, even free ones.

All have good and bad points, none I would describe as "junk"

If you intend to make bad comments I would PREFER you to list what you don't like about the software and made your assessment FAIR and that way all users can benefit from your experiences between diferent softwares through constructive criticism.

This is exactly why I hate what software is better than other type threads

:F

Added after 3 minutes:

:F

Frosty,
well yes its true, i am not having a good day after i begin to work on altium. i was assigned to use Altium 6,
it was a strange experience for me.

1. routes once routed wont have a flexiblity to push.
2. traces while pushing it break into pieces.
3. dont have auto end a trace
4. have to exactly click on the center of the pad to pick the net.
5. while creating a Decal it allow to use duplicate pin number!
6. the software load the system very badly.
7. if could not find any option to define a color for global nets and make that nets invisible. so the pads will highlight that net and make the placement more simple.
8. it really keep irritating giving pop up window. selection filter is not simple.
9. i dont see any differential pair quick route.

i think these are the basic features a layout tool should have.
i had used Eagle, but never got irritated like this.

Binu G

Binu G

Your complaints appear to be a result of a lack of experience and/or training with the software.

1. Push of a routed track is one of the options that can be selected in "Preferences".
2. I have never seen a pushed/shoved track "break into pieces" in any version of the software.
3. "Look Ahead" and auto terminate a track is an option in "Preferences".
4. Clicking in the center of a pad to pick up a net shouldn't be a problem - the software snaps to the center of pads automatically unless you have electrical snap toggled off.
5. Allowing duplicate pin numbers in a footprint or component is allowed for user flexibility in assigning tabs and pins to the same net, for example. It isn't a shortcoming - it's an advantage.
6. The software does place a heavy graphics load on the system. It was written specifically for WinXP, and fast processors. This is a result of having a tremendous number of features available - most of them were requested by long-time users of the software.
7. When placing a new component on the board, you get green or red pointers that show you the relative postion of the component to the center of mass for the other connected components and nets.
8. The popup window you are talking about is to deconflict the choices when you have the cursor over more than one object that could be edited. It allows you to select only what you want from multiple possibilities. It doesn't pop up unless there are potential conflicts to be resolved.
9. There is a differential pair routing placement command in the "Place" menu - apparently you just haven't found it yet.

I suggest you learn how to use a software package before you attempt to comment on its strengths and weaknesses. Altium Designer isn't a hobby tool for casual users. It requires some work to learn how to use it properly - just like PADS, Allegro, Orcad, and PCAD (all of which I have used over the years).

Great House Cat!
i have just 1 month experience in board design. basically no training .....

House_Cat said:
1. Push of a routed track is one of the options that can be selected in "Preferences".
Can u check that is that in DXP or protel or in some other release ?
House_Cat said:
3. "Look Ahead" and auto terminate a track is an option in "Preferences".
Do u really have that in the above mentioned version !!!!!!! why should u need to set the preference arent they the basic need of the tool ?

House_Cat said:
5. Allowing duplicate pin numbers in a footprint or component is allowed for user flexibility in assigning tabs and pins to the same net, for example. It isn't a shortcoming - it's an advantage.

Well this is a great news for me, i didnt really know that, for a component we can call two physical pin with same pin number. i just wonder why BGA have to have so many pin numbers, i think they can reduce it right ?

House_Cat said:
8. The popup window you are talking about is to deconflict the choices when you have the cursor over more than one object that could be edited. It allows you to select only what you want from multiple possibilities. It doesn't pop up unless there are potential conflicts to be resolved.
may be i have to pratice or get trained for moving my mouse over the pop up menu. yes its a great feature of the tool, really apperitate it. realized very late.

House_Cat said:
9. There is a differential pair routing placement command in the "Place" menu - apparently you just haven't found it yet

i think i have to consult a doctor and get my eye checked :(.

House_Cat said:
I suggest you learn how to use a software package before you attempt to comment on its strengths and weaknesses. @ltium Designer isn't a hobby tool for casual users. It requires some work to learn how to use it properly - just like PADS, Allegro, Orcad, and PCAD (all of which I have used over the years).

Thanks for the advice

Binu G

Some of the features that you appear to be looking for were introduced in version 6.3 that came out about 10 months ago. The current version of the software is version 6.7. If you are using a legal copy of the software, all of the updates since version 6.0 are free to all users.

The preference settings are to allow you to set up the software exactly as you want it to be. It's simple, even for someone with no experience. Everything is listed in tabbed pages, and all you have to do is put check marks in the boxes for the features you want to turn on. Preferences can be saved in a file, and loaded from a file - so if you have different techniques you want to use on different types of boards, you can load the appropriate preference file - you never have to go back and check the boxes again. Likewise with design rules, workspace layout, etc. - they all can be saved and used as templates for future designs.

Everything regarding interactive routing can be toggled from the keyboard while you are routing. For those just learning to use the package, there is a hotkey that will bring up a menu of the keyboard shortcuts (just hit '~'). There is also a shortcut menu available from the lower righthand 'Help' menu.

If you make an error such as assigning two pins in a BGA the same pin number, the compiler will point it out. From the project options, you can select what sort of warnings or error reporting you want. The layout designer has to use at least a small part of his or her brain to prevent errors - the software can't and shouldn't do all the thinking for a professional.

i think we use software to make the life more simple. thats why we pay for it. iam sure every one make mistake.
but if this can be avoid in the program why not ?
i think you will be well aware, if the pin number is duplicated or miss maped in layout and the cost for the same. no professional will like to sit and see each pin is asigned right or wrong.

i think these are all meaning less statment, just trying to justify here and there, i would like to end here .

I'm not an apologist for Alitum - their software just happens to be the one I have used the most for the past few years. It took quite a while to learn how to use it properly (but I must say it took less time than it took to learn how to squeeze PADS to get what I needed).

Binu G - If you have any specific questions as you try to learn how to get the most out of AD6, post them and I'll try to supply answers when I can.

Attitude is everything when it comes to learning. A crappy attitude will produce crappy results every time.

enough said...

I think AD6.7 is too load,run very slow.so I use Cadence,it is very fast,and is powerful!

Added after 3 minutes:

AD is very load,when run AD,all the System run very slow.And the router is not very good,comparing with Electra,not mention Specctra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back