Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to find smd ceramic capacitor value

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhtplsh

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to find the smd capacitor value

In all modern equipments smd ceramic capacitors r used. If we need to replace or check smd ceramic capacitor, then how to find it's original value? This is because many times we don't hv schematics.

Most often smd caps are not marked - this mins that you are on your own and the right word is: guesswork ..

If you are lucky and you can spot something on these caps, here you will find some clues on how to decipher these marks:
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

If the capacitor is damaged then you really do just have to make a best guess. You can improve your guestimate by taking into consideration case size and capacitor function i.e DC blocking, decoupling.

If you just want to find out the value of a non-marked working capacitor there is test equipment that will measure capacitor values. A more fun way (though I haven't personally tried this I guess it would work) is to use a bench supply and a known 1% tol resistor. Attach the resistor and capacitor as a series circuit to the supply set to 5 V and switch on. Monitor the voltage charge on the capacitor, then use C=T/R where T is the time it takes the cap to charge to 63.2% of its final value you can work out the cap value.

Status
Not open for further replies.