Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to switch on a SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

coblaze

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI,
Im new to this forum so thought wil start by sharing something on the forum. I dont know if there exists a post on this. None the less i'll share it.

Yesterday I went though the cricuits of an SMPS i ripped from a PC and figured out how i could switch it on. If you have used one you would have realised that it doesnt switch on when you connect it to the power source!!

So, to switch it on all you have to do it to "ground the ground". As in, connect any one of the "black" wires to the "green" wire. This will make your ground (black wire) grounded (earthed, 0V) and so the SMPS switches on. To switch it off simple remove the shorting.

Well why one would want to use an SMPS?? Firstly, its easy to use. Next, I dont have to bother about over heating my power supply (which i would have to if a had a home made power supply). Next, I have 5V, 3.3V, -5V, 12V, -12V which i can use.

I find it convinient to use an SPMS.

Cheers
Coblaze

7812 smps

HEY coblaze
could u share the circuit of smps with us?
i m very keen to see the circuit u got & the connection u made
probably after analysing ckt we could answer about mystery of ground wire grounded [:)]

Added after 4 minutes:

as per my knowledge in the power electronics :
"SMPS" is the best possible methodology for implementation of "regulated power supply"
forget the simple 3 pin 7812 7805 7905 etc regulator SMPS is way ahead of these all
and the impoe\rtant thing about the SMPS supplies is that it the equivalent of transformer in AC

AC source- transformer :: DC source - SMPS

enjoyyyyy

why we use black & green wire in smps

Well to tell you the truth I dont have any circuit diagrams. I just opened the box and figured it out.

Well yeah SMPS is THE thing for a DC power supply.

PS: If you find any circuit diagrams then do share it with me.

smps how to

coblaze said:
Well to tell you the truth I dont have any circuit diagrams. I just opened the box and figured it out.

Well yeah SMPS is THE thing for a DC power supply.

PS: If you find any circuit diagrams then do share it with me.

SMPS use the DC-DC converter concept. For example TPS51020 Buck Controller IC can be used to make a switching power supply that have 3.3 up to 5 volt.

Status
Not open for further replies.