Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick overview of common 8-bit and 16-bit microcontrollers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modelsim62c

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Could someone point me to a reference, or just give me a quick overview of 8-bit and 16-bit microcontrollers? How do they compare in terms of power, speed, area, and popolarity?

For example, I've heard about the 8051, (Motorola) HC8/HC11, PIC (many different versions?), Z80 (no longer in production?), others?

Re: Quick overview of common 8-bit and 16-bit microcontrolle

The industry standard in the 8-bit market is the 8051 (since 1981)
The ARM (16/32-bit) is designed to become the 8051 for the 21st century.

Greetings,

I have only experience with PIC, AVR and 8051.

My experience is limited and yours will likely differ, but as far as I can tell...

PIC (Microchip): Many configurations (probably the most), very popular, easy to program (35 instructions), lots of DIP-packaged chips which are easier to prototype, samples readily available, reasonably priced, good support. Easiest to use, but quite inefficent. Best where versatility and ease of use are most important.

AVR (Atmel): Not as many configurations, not quite as popular, also lots of DIP-packaged chips but not as many as PIC, faster and more efficient than PIC, more complex instruction set, samples available but somewhat harder to get, reasonably priced, good support. A good balance of complexity and ease of use. Best where efficiency and ease of use are equally important.

8051 (Intel): Industry standard, most popular, least amount of configurations, samples available from many companies but still not as easy as PIC to get, some DIP packaged chips, the most expensive, don't know about support, Fastest and most efficient, but also the most difficult to program (150+ instructions). Best where speed is of the essence and money is no object.

I should also mention the 16-bit MPS430 (Texas Instruments). Samples are readily available - some in DIP. Have not used them before, but I know they are the blue-ribbon winners for low power consumption.

And, of course the 16/32-bit ARM7/ARM9 families. Virtually no DIP packaged chips (DUH, WAY TO MANY PINS!!) Have not used them either.

Your mileage will vary. It depends on the application which is the best, and It is also largely a matter of personal preference. I hope this was useful.

BTW, I hope this thread does not start another "Which one is best" war.

Peace,
Computerman29

Thanks guys!

I know the 8051 is available as a (RTL) synthesizeable IP-core, so it can be embedded into a larger ASIC/FPGA project. Are any of the other microcontrollers available in synthesizeable Verilog/VHDL form?

anyone knows renesas microcontroller, now i have try the microcontroller and the result is very nice microcontroller

Modern uC trend to be RISC (16/32 ARM7) whereas the conventional 8051 is CISC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back