Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

S parameters of an FSS in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mophor

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hilbert curve hfss

I have a periodic frequency selective surface in HFSS, my geometry is as follows:

- vacuum box, where x and y surfaces are master/slave pairs
- bottom boundary set as PEC
- top boundary set as radiation boundary

Inside this vacuum box there is the actual FSS, a dielectric (PCB) and a trace pattern on top.

Doing a frequency sweep over this setup works fine, E and H field are as expected.

Now I want to know the scattering parameters of the whole, since there is a PEC at the bottom, everything that is not absorbed will come back. I want to know the magnitude and phase of the backtravelling wave with respect to the incoming

Now I have been fooling around with the far fields, but I can't get phase info out of it. I have been fooling around with wave ports as well, but could not get them to work. (replaced the top radiation boundary with a wave port, but it needs more)

Also I have placed a polyline in space at which I can plot the fields too, but that only gives me the fields at certain parts in space.

I send a plane wave in, coming from above (-z direction), and in the far field, there's a plane wave travelling back (infinite sheet due to the master/slave boundaries), and it's the magnitude and the phase of this wave I want to plot.

Any tips and/or tuts on this? I really can't find anything on how to set things up

hfss fss phase

Check this out for normal incidence.

Thank you for your efford, but your file kept on crashing HFSS (my install seems to be buggy anyway, I got my project corrupted as well, also kept on crashing on that)

Anyway, have been fooling around a bit and documented the steps, for anyone interested, find it attached.

Example is about a hilbert curve on PCB substrate and PEC backing. I used linked boundaries. so off normal incidence is also possible (I think you have to recalculate your PML for every angle, didn't work that out however)

Somehow, if I want to make any plot, I have to attach it to a polyline, even if I do not use the polyline in the calculations, if anyone can explain this, I'd be very glad.

Also, comments on this little doc are also very welcome

Edit: can't seem to get things uploaded - hold on

Status
Not open for further replies.