Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is RFIC Design dead ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mm....it's kinda hard to find taiwanese lecture notes if u cannot read chinese. some of the lecture notes are pure english, but the download webpages are written in traditional chinese.

too many professors and students in rfic design.

not enough jobs!

I don't think so?Did you graduate from surrey University???I was seeing on the carreers office list one of there student went to Study accounting after Graduating with MSc in Microwave and wireless subsystem design!Strange.In my opinion every sector in Electronics Engineering is Dead not only RF.They are all looking for experinced LAds!!!!!!When will they give the jobs to new graduates????

are you serious ?

accounting ?

companies today just want people with experience few are hiring young people.

why is this !

they need ppl to do the products fast to be able to hit the market , so the new grads will take time to learn the tricks in the industry , but experienced ppl do the job fast

this is my opinion , the problem is i am a MSc student

:D

khouly

so what is the point of being in school, studying something when there are no jobs for new grads ?

study for interest rather than worry about jobs...

psmon

that is a good idea unless you are married, have children and a house.

what do you do then ?

i am doing my MSc in microwave circuits , what is the future of Microwave and MMIC not RFIC ?

khouly

Puppet1,

Do what you are good at .... be it RF design, service (sales) or many others ... You'll be better rewarded financially.

i understand, psmon, but just wondering what the future of rfic design is.

that is why i started this thread and made the original post.

Puppet1 said:
WLAN is now in CMOS, and a commodity -- everyone has them. Bluetooth same thing, UWB not selling, Cellular Transceivers all in CMOS and everyone will have them soon.

What is left in RFIC Design ? WiMAX ? Is there any reason to study or go into RFIC Design anymore especially in BiCMOS ? What is left ?

Also software defined radio -- will it kill RF Front Ends ? All digital architectures coming like at Texas Instruments ? Why study RFIC ?

Please give me your opinions and post them -- thanks.

nonsense

No way it's dead. No matter how much we talk about digital, at some point it is always analog.

As long as these signals have to travel down conductive pathways (transmission lines and interconnects) of one kind or another, there will be needs for RFIC designers, or at least for people with knowledge of high frequency behavior of signals in transmission lines.

Someone still has to engineer how to get that signal from the chip to the antenna (and design the antenna, too).

We could debate whether CMOS, bi-CMOS, or other technology has a future. But remember, we must all adapt what we as high frequency design engineers understand about microwave and mm-wave engineering to whatever media our companies decide to design in this month.

--Max

Has the discussion finished? I am a freshman and I will academically work with a professor in my university. I want to choose RF IC Area. Can someone tell me that working on RFIC is a good idea for future?

Why not? RFIC design is still considered high-end in the analog/RF field. However, there are not many companies could survive in the next 10 years especially in RFIC field, they will consolidate and end up have very limited headcounts for design jobs, which only reserved for the top guys, that implies you don't expect you get an instant degree and hired by some brand name companies. Be a tough guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.