Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do "ECL", "CML", "LVDS",

Status
Not open for further replies.

knack

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cml lvds

Hi

I sometimes see that ppl use CML circuit to do ... bla bla.. and use LVDS because of ... bla bla ... and ECL ....

Which catigory or branch of science these terms belong to?

I think these are some kinds of I/Os interface standards (not sure and need to be corrected if i'm mistaken) ..

I want to learn more about them.. So, what should i read or search for ??

I was going to design a high frequency and large divisor counter.. which of them should I use and why?

C/Cts and adv./disadvantages of each.....

Please give me usefull material about them...

Very Big THANK YOU ALL for help ..

Regards,
--Knack

lvds cml ecl compare

ECL stands for Emitter Coupled Logic .It's a high speed logic family because transistors are never allowed to saturate .Its structure is very similar to the analog differential amplifiers .

CML stands for Current Mode Logic .It's another high speed logic family similar to ECL except that one family is buffered at the output while the other isn't .

LVDS stands for Low Voltage Differential Signaling .This logic family uses differential signals of about 700mV to represent 0s and 1s .

For high speed dividers .I believe that the most common logic families are CML or Dynamic logic .

knack

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
cml circuit wikipedia

LVDS - Low Voltage Differential signalling is used in the transmission of data between chips. LVDS uses signals with swings of around 50mv - 400mv at very high frequencies. This is typically used for high speed communication.
LVDS drivers and decoders have another important specification in the common-mode voltage level of the signals. The common-mode level varies wrt the defined protocol and the voltage at which the core works.

In order to know more about LVDS implementation, you can message me.
I suggest you start reading from LVDS modelling and then into LVDS drivers. Use google to search for articles on these.

Re: What do "ECL", "CML", "LVDS&amp

"I was going to design a high frequency and large divisor counter"

Define what frequencies are we talking about here...

Re: What do "ECL", "CML", "LVDS&amp

I have successfully worked on LVDS drivers upto 2GHz at 130nm. It depends on technology as well.

ECL is emitter coupled logic

Added after 2 minutes:

Low-voltage differential signaling, or LVDS, is an electrical signaling system that can run at very high speeds over inexpensive twisted-pair copper cables. It was introduced in 1994, and has since become very popular in computers, where it forms part of very high-speed networks and computer buses.

Added after 1 minutes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_mode_logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back