Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

linux for pentium 1 100 mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

goosecool

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi .. is there any GUI based linux for a pentium 1 100 mhz comp. I managed to get hold of a cheap cannon laptop with this config .. I m not sure how much ram it has though.
Thanks

Yes there is, but it depends on what you want to do with your computer and on how much RAM it has.
You might try Damn Small Linux, Puppy linux or even Red Hat Linux 6 or 7 with a lightweight window manager like XFCE or Fluxbox

You can try Debian+IceWM.

goosecool said:
Hi .. is there any GUI based linux for a pentium 1 100 mhz comp. I managed to get hold of a cheap cannon laptop with this config .. I m not sure how much ram it has though.
Thanks

Most Lnuxes could run on your old PC, but as pentium 1 didn't support mmx, you're better off using an older version one build for your type of PC, I think that mandriva keeps this kind of build arround, or search the archives of major distro's.

thanks guys for your replies .. i will paly around with different distros and report my findings

blue_moon said:
Yes there is, but it depends on what you want to do with your computer and on how much RAM it has.
You might try Damn Small Linux, Puppy linux or even Red Hat Linux 6 or 7 with a lightweight window manager like XFCE or Fluxbox

I am new to linux and want to learn it from the kernel up, that's why I needed a lightweight linux to play around with.

If you want to learn a lot, try Slackware distribution.

It's harder to install, but you'll learn many things.

It's also a light, speedy and clean linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.