Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Energy consumption or power consumption in a processor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharshi_qis

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi frnds..plz clarify me abt the following...
How the energy is shared in various parts of a computer.
How energy is distributed into various parts of processor...what is the share of memory..

Hi,

one way to look at it is the amount of energy needed to resolve a task. That means, if you run that task in a loop lets say a small program 10000 times, you can measure the average current during that time. You also know the voltage. As a result it takes U*I/10000 as the enrgy to resolve that software task. This approach favors new high end technology because it operates at much lower voltages.
The other option is to measure the max. current during such an operation and consider this the power consumption. This approach is needed if you decide how many mA your voltage regulator needs to provide.

Another approach for your question:
Most embedded microcontrollers have a so called idle mode. In this mode, the CPU is turned off but all other clocks remain. You can measure the current in idle mode and in active mode with CPU running. The difference would be a good number for the CPU power consumption. In active mode you can disable all peripherals, at least in good devices.
Now you measure the current, enable one peripheral in a mode you are interested in and measure again, the difference is the power consumption of the peripheral.
There are hundreds of options how to do this on a complex chip but I hope you got the point.

Hope that helped a little bit.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.