Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cadence ic5.0 redhat 8 installation guide - readme

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronrancher

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
archive contains obsolescent hd0

Since I had so much trouble with this (didn't work first try!) and had to piece together many seperate contributions, I will make a small guide here. Hopefully, it will now work first time for you instead! Please donate a few points if you find it helpful, or I will donate some points to you if you find mistake!

Note: This is not a list of everything you need to know, just a quick guide so you can say: "aha! I have that trouble too!"

Many thanks (I know not allowed!) to icg22 and all the others who made good documentation of their works so to make this guide complete.

1) Installed blank 40GB drive into WinXP pc, prepared for the worst dual-boot trobles ever... ;)
2) Setup 40GB drive in BIOS which overtook IDE-0, so I had to change boot options to boot IDE-1 (old XP drive) first - to see if it worked..

It worked. XP did not see the drive, but bios did - who cares about XP?!

3) Boot from Redhat 8 CDROM - Installation VERY easy, must format /hdb (new 40GB drive) and install partitions. Made 2GB swap partition for my 1GB RAM, left the rest to redhat. Chose workstation options with a few more development stuffs on top. Last, created new account for root, and one additional user, cad.

4) Copy !c5 cd's to cad's directory (/home/cad) and begin installation with
>sh SETUP.SH or >./SETUP.SH - i am still learning why my scripts need some sort of "push" to get them started, I think >SETUP.SH should work from my old experiences on Debian MIPS for SGI Indy..

5) In installation, choose "Catalog" when asked for a license, so it installs without verifying. Trying to verify an efa-generated license (using choice email) failed.

If you copied your CDs to the hdd, you will have to redirect some fetches to the cd when given a choice..
#1) Local
#2) Other
then give a path like /home/cad/CDROM1 or /home/cad/CDROM2 during installation. If you only mount the cds it will probably be /mnt/CDROM and /mnt/CDROM1

6) Complete the very-strange, text mode shell script installer while it makes many ...... and counts up to 100%

7) Now edit your environment variables.. Screwing this up causes a lot of troubles. for example
-Screwing up CDS_ROOT and icms won't run with error message about cds_root
-Screwing up CDS_LIC_FILE gives you programs that die fast when they see you have no license
-Screwing up XKEYSYMDB gives you many many annoying warnings about converting string to VirtualBinding.. Seen with many programs, developers should try to warn people about this like netscape does@!

I still have not fixed a font alias, so I still get a warning about adobe-helvetica-...... but CDS is smart enough to use a good font instead.

Here's how to setup for RedHat 8: Putting environment variables in /etc/profile (for all user) or /home/cad/.bash_profile get all the PATH right but do not propagate the XKEY stuff, so I still get all the VirtualBinding warnings even when they are set right. (type $XKEYSYMDB at bash prompt to puke out the file, or only the 'file not found' link if it fails). Setting this XKEY variable by hand from a terminal window and rerunning icms then gives no problem! I now put all env. variables in /home/cad/.bashrc (only for user cad) and it works very nicely.
--------------Excerpt from .bashrc-----------------------------
export CDS_LIC_FILE=/home/cad/ic5/license.dat
export CDS_ROOT=/home/cad/ic5/
export CDS_INST_DIR=$CDS_ROOT
export CDS_Netlisting_Mode=Analog
export CDSDIR=/home/cad/c@dence/tools
export XKEYSYMDB=$CDS_ROOT/share/cdssetup/tdmX11/XKeysymDB
export XNLSPATH=$CDS_ROOT/share/cdssetup/tdmX11/nls
PATH=$PATH:$CDSDIR/bin
PATH=$PATH:$CDSDIR/dfII/bin
PATH=$PATH:$CDSDIR/SKILL06.00/context
PATH=$PATH:$CDSDIR/SKILL06.10/context
PATH=$PATH:$CDSDIR/dracula/bin
export PATH
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know I use too many PATH, but I was commenting each out to see if they made any difference. One note is that my old XKeysymDB file is bigger, and contains all the things cadence does and more. Also runs fine if you point to the old one. XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11r6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB

8) Now you logout, and on next login you can run icms from any terminal, and all paths and dependencies seem OK so far - only 3-4h use, but I am a heavy user.

That font problem can be fixed with an alias like another post, but it causes no functional fail like I mentioned. If someone has a patch for the font warning, pleast post here.
Two final notes:

In order to boot XP from a redhat GRUB, you must reverse-map the partitions (not the whole drive, that does not work all the time) before running chainloader or you will only hang your PC.
in /etc/grub.conf, change the commands about 'DOS' to
map (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
map (hd1,0) (hd0,0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

Also, when in XP, use Paragon Ext2FS (in Paragon HDD Manager) to mount your linux disk to G: or some windows drive. VERY NICE to dump CD's and other stuffs to your linux partition. (And since windows has no idea about ROOT, anyone can edit /etc/profile and other root-only files using notepad) Nothing made for linux can mount a winXP NTFS drive, so this is the only good way to swap data on 2-disk, dual boot. Single disk cannot even use NTFS, so you must have FAT32 or linux will simply wipe your NT when you try to install linux onto a NTFS drive.

correct locale for cadence 6 virtuoso

electronrancher said:
Since I had so much trouble with this (didn't work first try!) and had to piece together many seperate contributions, I will make a small guide here. Please donate a few points if you find it helpful, or I will donate some points to you if you find mistake!

Note: This is not a list of everything you need to know, just a quick guide so you can say: "aha! I have that trouble too!"

Many thanks (I know not allowed!) to icg22 and all the others who made good documentation of their works so to make this guide complete.

1) Installed blank 40GB drive into WinXP pc, prepared for the worst dual-boot trobles ever... ;)
2) Setup 40GB drive in BIOS which overtook IDE-0, so I had to change boot options to boot IDE-1 (old XP drive) first - to see if it worked.. ;)

It worked. XP did not see the drive, but bios did - who cares about XP?! ;)

3) Boot from Redhat 8 CDROM - Installation VERY easy, must format /hdb (new 40GB drive) and install partitions. Made 2GB swap partition for my 1GB RAM, left the rest to redhat. Chose workstation options with a few more development stuffs on top. Last, created new account for root, and one additional user, cad.

4) Copy !c5 cd's to cad's directory (/home/cad) and begin installation with
>sh SETUP.SH or >./SETUP.SH - i am still learning why my scripts need some sort of "push" to get them started, I think >SETUP.SH should work from my old experiences on Debian MIPS for SGI Indy..

5) In installation, choose "Catalog" when asked for a license, so it installs without verifying. Trying to verify an efa-generated license (using choice email) failed.

If you copied your CDs to the hdd, you will have to redirect some fetches to the cd when given a choice..
#1) Local
#2) Other
then give a path like /home/cad/CDROM1 or /home/cad/CDROM2 during installation. If you only mount the cds it will probably be /mnt/CDROM and /mnt/CDROM1

6) Run the very-strange, text mode shell script installer while it makes many ...... and counts up to 100%

7) Now edit your environment variables.. Screwing this up causes a lot of troubles. for example
-Screwing up CDS_ROOT and icms won't run with error message about cds_root
-Screwing up CDS_LIC_FILE gives you programs that die fast when they see you have no license
-Screwing up XKEYSYMDB gives you many many annoying warnings about converting string to VirtualBinding.. Seen with many programs, developers should try to warn people about this like netscape does@!

I still have not fixed a font alias, so I still get a warning about adobe-helvetica-...... but CDS is smart enough to use a good font instead.

Here's how to setup for RedHat 8: Putting environment variables in /etc/profile (for all user) or /home/cad/.bash_profile get all the PATH right but do not propagate the XKEY stuff, so I still get warning. setting this XKEY once from a terminal window and rerunning icms then gives no problem! I now put all env. variables in /home/cad/.bashrc (only for user cad) and it works very nicely.
--------------Excerpt from .bashrc-----------------------------
export CDS_LIC_FILE=/home/cad/ic5/license.dat
export CDS_ROOT=/home/cad/ic5/
export CDS_INST_DIR=$CDS_ROOT
export CDS_Netlisting_Mode=Analog
export CDSDIR=/home/m6/cadence/tools
export XNLSPATH=$CDS_ROOT/share/cdssetup/tdmX11/nls
PATH=$PATH:$CDSDIR/bin
PATH=$PATH:$CDSDIR/dfII/bin
PATH=$PATH:$CDSDIR/SKILL06.00/context
PATH=$PATH:$CDSDIR/SKILL06.10/context
PATH=$PATH:$CDSDIR/dracula/bin
export PATH
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know I use too many PATH, but I was commenting each out to see if they made any difference. One note is that my old XKeysymDB file is bigger, and contains all the things cadence does and more. Also runs fine if you point to the old one. XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11r6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB

8) Now you logout, and on next login you can run icms from any terminal, and all paths and dependencies seem OK so far - only 3-4h use, but I am a heavy user.

That font problem can be fixed with an alias like another post, but it causes no functional fail like I mentioned. If someone has a patch for the font warning, pleast post here.
Two final notes:

In order to boot XP from a redhat GRUB, you must reverse-map the partitions (not the whole drive, that does not work all the time) before running chainloader or you will only hang your PC.
in /etc/grub.conf, change the commands about 'DOS' to
map (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
map (hd1,0) (hd0,0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

Also, when in XP, use Paragon Ext2FS (in Paragon HDD Manager) to mount your linux disk to G: or some windows drive. VERY NICE to dump CD's and other stuffs to your linux partition. (And since windows has no idea about ROOT, anyone can edit /etc/profile and other root-only files using notepad) Nothing made for linux can mount a winXP NTFS drive, so this is the only good way to swap data on 2-disk, dual boot. Single disk cannot even use NTFS, so you must have FAT32 or linux will simply wipe your NT when you try to install linux onto a NTFS drive.

when i install ic5 for linux at redhat9,it says:

tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
/home/chensw/eda/cadence/cadmos/install/bin.lnx86/softload: line 1412:
Could not extract information from FS.0 of CD#1.
Could not get platform or release information: command not found

how do i solve ?

tsmc pdk .rar

uh oh i already see a typo - i get 10 points from myself!

i left something from an old install that won't work with above info.. In the environment variables, CDSDIR shoud be set to
export CDSDIR=/home/cad/ic5/tools
if you are user "cad" and you installed to "/home/cad/ic5"
or...
export CDSDIR=$CDS_ROOT/tools
for a better, more generic call.

in the same way you can make some other variable calls shorter like CDSDIR, and ...LIC_FILE - you get the pictures i think.

debian ic5 fail

chsw - i think your problem is in the software you use to un-tar. i read the other posts about using an old version - sounds like the best idea unless you can do otherwise like i did.
i unpacked using winace on the windowsXP side, which is very robust for opening all kinds of archives.

I see shareware programs like ArchiveXpert for both windows and linux after a simple google query of
linux open zip rar ace cab tar gz

try a program like that which i think will unpack any old versions' works.

locale not supported by xlib cadence

Good job, brother. I have donated 20 points to you although most things you wrote here I have already done. Now new question. I got warning when launching !C5. Could you help me to solve it?

[lcg@localhost lcg]$ icfb
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
[color=redWarning: Cannot convert string "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--0-100-75-75-p-0-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct[/color]

install cadence ic 5 on red hat

hey thanks!

Yes, those bindings are the other half of the XKEYSymDB problem - the part that doesn't propagate from profile. Try pasting this line into a terminal window, then from the SAME terminal, run icms or whatever - I think your errors will be gone.

I found that only by putting these XKEY stuffs into .bashrc do I solve the Binding problem. Lots of resources online, but nobody gets the answer - try to search for warning TranslationTable, many hits..

I have tried install IC50 in RedHat 7.2,no errors found, command icfb and so on worked well.

Hey, guys, which design kits are you using?

You can go to www.cadence.ncsu.edu and download their PDK design kit for MOSIS.

For TSMC 0.25um and 0.18um mixed-signal and RF Process design kit, you maybe need TSMC On-line account to download.

that's true alliance, the NCSU kit is pretty nice..

i don't have a copy of rh7x, so i decided to make do with psyche.. the problems stem from the fact that cadence was compiled on a 7x or something like that using the Motif calls from 2.1, and RH8 uses 3.1. I just got a compatibility library so we'll see if that takes care of the last annoying bug - Character /xxx not supported by font. Seems when OpenWindows has to paste into a textbox, and gets confused by the 3.1-2.1 conversion, it picks a font of size 1 pixel which don't exist.

Netscape 4 did it too, and they just made everyone upgrade to the version they compiled on 3.1.. Ha ha we'll see if it takes care of it

never did fix that stupid character not supported - openmotif libraries installed correctly but did not respond when called manually for testing.

The good news is: This same install guide works great for SuSe 8.2, no other configuration needed except to link tools to tools.lnx86 manually!

Quite a bit faster than I remember RedHat to be - well slower to load, but then it runs like a dream.. even simulations go pretty damn quick.

Any other tips on design kits? Maybe you should start a new thread to keep it all organized..

electronrancher said:
uh oh i already see a typo - i get 10 points from myself!

i left something from an old install that won't work with above info.. In the environment variables, CDSDIR shoud be set to
export CDSDIR=/home/cad/ic5/tools
if you are user "cad" and you installed to "/home/cad/ic5"
or...
export CDSDIR=$CDS_ROOT/tools
for a better, more generic call.

in the same way you can make some other variable calls shorter like CDSDIR, and ...LIC_FILE - you get the pictures i think.
Are you sure CDSDIR should be "/home/cad/ic5/tools "? From Cr@ck file it's "/home/cad/ic5/". Also, in the NCSU CDK install instruction:"$CDS_DIR == The top level of the Cadence installation tree" btw, which linux system are you using and which shell are you using, bash or C shell? Can you write a readme for installing NCSU CDK?

I think there may be a configuration(u can see this within the softload) after the installation, so the features could be decrypted. And this configuration needs license. Without the configuration, does the software work well?

The configuration option is Un-selectable under Linux.

the only configuration you need is to make a link from tools.lnx86 to tools.

if you run without a license, icms and virtuoso will run normally, but you will not be able to "Add Instance" in virtuoso. Additionally, trying to run analog simulator will fail and finally tell you you don't have a license.

My clock battery died the other day, and upon replacing it with a fresh one my clock was screwed up. This f**** up all my cadence licenses - be aware if you have license in the right place, but you still cannot run licensed stuff this is probably why. did you create it in a windows partition with a different clock?

another ic_5 problem

Hi,
i have already posted my problem in another post but in order to concentrate all ic_5 problems an hopefully the solutions too, i decided to move to this post.

here is my problem:

#Hi,
#- i have installed ic_5 under suse8_2.
#- i created a schematic and start the analog design environment to #simulate the circuit with spectre.
#- then i setup the stimuli and when i setup the analysis methode and click #ok, then the entire icfb is closing and in the terminal window the error #message "Speicherzugriffsverletzung (memory access error)" appears.
#Has anyone the same problem or are there any suggestions what the #reason of this problem is?
#thanks in advance,
#hqqh

electronrancher wrote:

#i am running ic5 on suse 8.2, and do not see that error. what else have #you installed?
#or if it's a fresh install, what components did you choose?

ok, here we go.
to electronrancher:

-it is a fresh linux installation and i have choosen all components during the installation. i start icfb& in a terminal window and proceed like decribed above.
- at first i will check the licenses and the path settings but maybe someone can create some simple schematics and run some simulation with spectre to check whether it works an another installation.

thanks in advance to all guys in this forum,
hqqh

ps: to electronrancher: i will donate you 15 points, because it was a great idea to concentrate the hole installation problems in this post. thanks

Cadence offical support only redhat 7.2 with 2.4.9-34 kernel.So it's better to install ic50 in such platform. Morever, IC50 only support 8 or 24 bits color setting.

well, sure but suse just built on top of the same components.

i'm guessing this is a real out of memory error - how much mem do you have?

first, try running icms for a smaller subset of tools - seems like you only choose the tools to run off the menus, but this would be my only debug guess.

i found that this toolset is very slow with 1/2GB of memory on an athlon 1800 - what?!?!? 2GB of swap runs continuously when only sweeping a single nmos.

i'm starting a new post about simulation, you can read the rest of my complaints there - maybe redhat does have an advantage, i dunno. anyone tried it? post in the new sim thread, plz..

if i hv a IC 5 cds ,how can i know that it is for linux or unix

thanx

the version for solaris is 3 cds, for linux is 2cds.

Status
Not open for further replies.