Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me decide on specifications for my ABS and traction control system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mookins

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
this isn't strictly a DSP question but DSP is definitely an option. What I have is a 3 semester project for uni. I chose to implement an ABS and traction control system in a 1/5th scale remote control car (**broken link removed** for pictures).

My original idea was to use an FPGA, Spartan 3E. I have only ever written VHDL and never used FPGA hardware but I would consider myself a fast learner. Anyway, the plan was to implement a 'soft' microcontroller inside the FPGA, 5 parallel running fuzzy logic controllers (which I have already developed in VHDL), and all the necessary peripherals, like PWM decoding and encoding, ADC interfaces, etc.

I spoke to a guy at work and he said that's overkill and I could get away with a single microcontroller about 50Mhz to 100Mhz. Still skeptical, not to mention having a hard time finding open source development tools, I conjured up the idea of using 5 smaller ATmega chips, one dedicated to each wheel's ABS running a fuzzy logic implementation and the fifth ATmega functioning as a master for data logging, wireless comms back to base, etc.

So my question is, is an FPGA overkill? Are 6 ATmegas overkill? Is a nice hefty 50MHz to 100MHz micro going to be enough?
Other considerations are cheap or free tools and ease of PCB manufacture. I consider up to 4 layers viable. Anything more isn't doable.

Any questions about details feel free to ask!

-Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back