Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moving from USA to Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppet1

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Has anyone moved from USA to Europe to do IC Design ?

If so, please share your stories.

Thanks!

the only news i heard form ppl moved r who planed to move is the abt teh salary getting reduced once u move here .. salaries u will get here wen u convert to dollars is very less .. unless u go for countries like UK and swiss .. as far as i know alll other countirs pay u less . .. but if u can tell us wat sal if beoing offered here and wat r u getting there .. may be soem body will come out with some suggestions

ok besides salary... what is the work situation like ? better ? lifestyle ?

money is not everything.

Hi
What field dodyou like to work in and do you have which contry(ies) do you have in mind?

Cl

Analog/MixedSignal/RFIC Design

France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland.

hello puppet!

If u go to countries like france better u get the basic local lang else very difficult to manage .. alos germany to soem extent but big cities u can mange with ENg. The countries like austrai and Swiss are very small in beters area so deffi u would shocked to see such places being called as countries which in US can be compared to city.

all the counties u mentioned need a basic local lang ,, so better learn .. r get ready to learn

suresh

i already know three languages so learning a new one won't be that bad.

as long as the company supports me in this, and the company is a multinational, muticultural environment, i don't this will normally be a problem at all.

IN that case

WELCOME TO EUROPE !!!

suresh

are you in europe -- what are you thoughts ?

I recommend you France .. south france is a silicon valley and you will be able to have a job and maybe get a PhD scholarship in case u look for such track ..

hi

yeah I am already in Europe from abt 3 and half years in this years i was moving from a country to country. the scandinavian countries are good excet for the weather. For me the best place was Swiss. France Italy and spain pay u very less .. so if ur going for money and to stay in euope then swiss, UK, Bel, nethelands are good places .. but in which country r u interested in ??

Get used to heavy taxation...

Each country has its attractions. If you like skiing and mountains, check Austria, and Switzerland. Switzerland also has the highest wages and lowest taxes, by far.

UK has probably the most jobs and companies, but the weather is... poor.

South Germany (Munich) is also ok. Very clean, organized, many large companies. I like going there, but not enough to want to become like the germans...

South of France is, in my opinion, the best place to live (food, wine, nice weather) but the taxes are possibly the highest ones
in western europe, and you'll have to learn to "get along" with the french (language and character).

If you enjoy rainy afternoons, then NXP in Netherlands is the place to be. English will be OK for 95% of your dealings there, including shopping, etc. They may be letting go a lot of people, though, since the new owner is "re-focusing" the company.

And don't forget Portugal! Cheaper living costs than most western europe, warm weather... and only ONE company to work for there, I believe. Portuguese people are friendly and will try to teach you their language whether you want it or not, by repeating things many times to you.

In Italy the salaries are low, I hear, and the cost of living is high. Housing is said to be comparatively very expensive.

Hope this helps a bit. I'd suggest Switzerland, then France, then UK/Germany.

what's the technically most advanced country of all those in the field of ASIC design ?

Germany,
Netherlands
austria
france
UK

there numerous jobs in thse countries for bothback and front end .. if u have eligibility to work here

suresh

how is northern france compared to southern france...

Hi puppet
I've also seen your post about RFIC interview.

Let me explain my thoughts:
what you will say if I ask to you how is to work in the US?
I think that simply the answer is affected by too many variables!!

Personal interest and culture above all. In europe you can find very different life styles and people from country to country.

Weather: it's very different from northen part of europe to southern part.

Companies: well you have identified the best area to work.

So, my question is: what do you expect?
And my suggestion: come here, you will do a good experience in the old europe.

Mazz

i have heard that europe people work to live, and in usa people live to work, and in europe more vacation, lifestyle is more relaxed, and people are healthier -- just get paid less and taxed more. also i hear better training, more helpful people, better teamwork, more research out of europe than usa, and just more relaxed people ! i am tired of stressful people, and too stressful jobs.

i expect those things, money is not important any more to me.

thanks!

I think you've got the main target.
Maybe you have to understand better how much the difference is.
But consider "stress": how much the job and your responsabilities act to yourself is something you can control. This is your choice.
Take care that maybe, if you expect to get less stress from coming in europe, you've got the point unless you are the kind of person who "catches" the stress. I hope this can help.

Regarding money, from the questions you put on possible questions on RFIC, it seems you have not large experience in this field (maybe I am wrong).
What is your current salary and how much do you think they can offer to you? Companies give good salary only to those people that can guarantee an high performance and does not scare about taking responsabilities (see "stress"), also here.

Mazz

Status
Not open for further replies.