Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which would be the simplest way to detect a FAN locked in PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basil

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Locked FAN detection

:?: Which would be the simplest way to detect a FAN locked in a PC?. Fan provides an status on/off signal.

Locked FAN detection

most of PC fans have pulse open collector output (central pin in fan connector), many monitoring programs can detect rotation failure

Re: Locked FAN detection

umup said:
most of PC fans have pulse open collector output (central pin in fan connector), many monitoring programs can detect rotation failure

I've seen it. Do you know which is the electric interfase?

Locked FAN detection

What do you mean "electric interfase" ?

umup said:
What do you mean "electric interfase" ?

I mean

1) voltage levels
2) pinout (if it's standarized. I'm no sure central cable is sensor output, my fan has a central black wire and yellor and red on the sides... I'd bet red=+12VDC, and black=0VDC)

and I'd add logic (open colector?, normal = HI?)

Locked FAN detection

Yes, usually sensor wire is yellow, but better check it with meter
It is open collector output from internal magnetic HALL sensors, giving 1 or more negative pulses per revolution.

Locked FAN detection

Apologies, if it;s obvious. But usually, the fans have a part number and manufacturer written on the rotor. You can look up the datasheet for the fan and find everything about the sensor output in it.

pin 2 {usualy a yellow or white wire}
gives on off once or more per rotation

you can monitor it using a scope ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back